Skip Navigation

[Resolved] You cannot use this slug because it is already used or a reserve word

This support ticket is created 2 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

This is a follow up on the below support ticket:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/you-cannot-use-this-slug-because-it-is-already-used-or-a-reserved-word-2/

We had setup a CPT using Toolset Types and had been adding data just fine. We went back into the post type and turned off the 'has_archive' option of the CPT as we were having issues with using the WordPress Archive template in Toolset and just wanted to use a page. So we turned off the has_archive and updated the CPT. Then we went in and setup a page using the slug to be our archive page. This all works just fine and is a common use case with WP. The issue came up when we needed to edit the CPT again to add a 'supports' option. We couldn't update the CPT now because we have a page with the slug even though the CPT was setup first.

So not sure if the logic in you checks should be changed to maybe check for the has_archive if you are going to check for a page and also if this is an edit or a new CPT save.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

I tested and confirmed the same.

I've raised it as a usability issue with the developers to see whether they can remove the restricution if is_archive is not a checked option.

But on your site you will need to edit the page that uses the same slug and change it to something else, even if temporarily, so that you can make changes to the post type settings page.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Yes, I found a way to force this in after looking at the code. I originally didn't think about the page and commented some lines of code in your plugin to make the edit. Then I had the "ah ha" moment that it was the WP page as I had seen a parameter for page check.

Just wanted to pass along the issue that seems to be some what of a bug since the scenario is a common scenario and works just fine when we have created out CPT through code rather than your plugin. We just happen to be using your plugin for a site and ran into this.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thank you for bringing this forward and it has been passed on internally.

You're welcome to mark this ticket as resolved and start a new one, for each new question or concern.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.