Skip Navigation

[Escalated to 2nd Tier] WPML string translations not being respected

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 4 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 20.59.11.png
Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 20.53.46.png
Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 20.48.45.png
Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 20.47.39.png
Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 20.33.19.png

Hi Support

I am trying to:
1) Translate the text string of a button from the default language en_GB to German de_DE and Spanish es_ES
2) Translate the text string of the distance feature of Toolset Maps from the default language en_GB to German de_DE and Spanish es_ES

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
(see screenshot)
hidden link

I expected to see:
1) The button showing the translated string "Native Nanny finden" when viewing the site in German and "Encuentra tu Nanny" when viewing the site in Spanish.
2) "RADIUS 15 km VON" in German and "RADIO 15 km DE" in Spanish

Instead, I got:
1) The standard English string "Find a Native Nanny"
2) The standard English string "RADIUS 15km OF"

I have the strong impression that old strings are being remembered and that when we click Save that the new translations are not being picked up. For example, when I change the German translation to "blah blah blah" and click Save, it looks like it is saving, but it doesn't translate on the GUI. When I change back to the correct translation "Native Nanny finden", as soon as type the last "n" the "Translation is complete" checkbox checks itself automatically, so somewhere in the system, there seems to be a residual "Native Nanny finden" translation.

Funnily enough it worked in Spanish but not in German for a similar functionality for "Find a Job" which translated perfectly, but was configured the same way (search for the string "Find a Job" in WPML String Translation if you'd like to compare).

I don't know if this is related, however we have constant reminders that we have Translation Updates. If we run the updates, it says they're installed successfully, but then the WordPress Updates page tells us we have the same update available. It is like the system is stuck in some state and is not updating its translations.

Thanks and best regards
Simon

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Simon

I'm looking into the issues of the translations of the strings from Views and Maps not appearing into the front-end. I'm attempting to reproduce the issues on my local test site, and I'm running into a couple of problems with the new version of String Translation that I'm consulting with colleagues about, and will get back to you.

Regarding the issue with the UI which you describe with "I have the strong impression that old strings are being remembered...", together with the update reminders, I think you would be better reporting these directly to WPML who—naturally—have a much deeper knowledge of WPML than I do.

It seems like I can already reproduce the problem of the custom text from Maps where you use "RADIUS..." not showing correctly on the front-end, and I'll complete some more testing and then get back to you.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Simon

I'm able to reproduce the problem with the custom text for the search radius not showing the translations on the front end.

On my local test site, though, I don't have the same problem you report for the custom search button text. On my site the translations display correctly.

I've take a copy of your site and passed it to my colleagues for further testing to see if they can pin down why it doesn't work on your particular site, and I'll get back to you.

OK Nigel, thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing more positive news soon.

Hi Nigel

Just a quick update, we managed to get the buttons translated. The only outstanding issue on this ticket is problem 2) the translation of the "RADIUS 15km FROM" .

Best regards
Simon

Nigel
Supporter

OK, thanks, I've passed that on to my colleagues so they are only looking at that issue...

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Simon

Quick update to let you know that Maps 2.0.2 has been released and contains a fix for this issue, with the location string now translatable.

Thanks for your patience.

HI Nigel

Great, thanks for letting me know. I will test this on Monday when I return home from Brazil. The internet connection here in Brazil is not good. 🙂

I'll give you a confirmation when I have tested it.

Kind regards
Simon

Screenshot 2020-02-29 at 13.45.17.png

HI Nigel

I managed to test this on the airport wifi, but it is still not working as far as I can see in German or Spanish. Attached the screenshot of the items I am translating. It still appears in English when viewing /de and /es sites.

Kind regards
Simon

Nigel
Supporter

Sorry about that. I've re-tested myself and I'm still having problems translating that string.

I've gone back to the developer and testers to get clarification about whether it really is fixed, whether I'm doing something wrong, etc.

I'll get back to you.