Skip Navigation

[Resolved] What happened to customizing Menu Icon in Types 1.9?

This support ticket is created 8 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 8:00 – 17:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by rusty 8 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Adriano.

Author

When I created Custom Post Types I alway uses a Custom Menu Icon so that clients knew the Custom Post Type work that I did. In previous versions of Types I did this easily under the Visibility menu by inputting a link to my desired graphic under Menu Icon.

Now with Types 1.9 I am giving the ability to change the icon with only the selection given to me by the Types Choose Icon menu. I don't want to use any of them I want to use the one I created for my brand that clients will recognize.

How do I change CPT menu icons to what I want to use in Types 1.9?

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Yes, you are right. You can chose menu icon from existing list right now.

I'll forward your concern as to our concern department for assessment. Our developers will review it and if they find this feature request is feasible enough, they will add this to their to-do list and the new feature will be made available with near feature official release.

However, I'll keep you posted as soon as I know more.

custom-wp-user-interface.jpg

What I provide my clients is ease of use with WordPress to effect changes with their Websites. Part of this process is for my clients to open WordPress and easily identify where they should go to enter content. This was done by having an easily identifiable menu icon and customized CPT fields so it was a no brainer where clients should go and what to do (see screenshot).

In my niche of custom designed WordPress website it gave me a competitive advantage over others because I used Types and Views to do this. It made selling my services easy. Most people don't care about all the technical mumbo jumbo that makes their website works, they just want to know it's easy to enter text and upload photos and everything just works. During an online presentation, they see Webvisuals emblem, matching colors and they quickly form an opinion that this is easy to use.

Having been a UI Designer for over 22 years working with a multitude of developers I can tell what has happening. There is no one who is a spokesperson for the end user. Not the person who develops the website using your tools, but the person, with limited technical knowledge, who is charged with maintaining the WP website long after the website has been built and launched. These decisions to remove user interface visual aids are being done by developers in a vacuum who strive for homogeneous display with other developers. I've seen it happen again and again.

Please Types and Views team allow us visual designers the ability to customize the WP admin tools so that we can separate ourselves from the thousands of WordPress website builders out there with the simple features of personalize menu icons and customized CPT fields.

It's not a big request, you use to offer this ability and for some unknown reason you removed it.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

I understand your point and how important this feature is for you. Please allow me to consult our developers and I'll keep you posted here as soon as I know more.

Hello,

I’m Adriano, Toolset support lead and I have been escalated to this thread. I’ll give my best to help you to achieve your needs through Toolset components.

I fully understand your point. The missing feature was a surprise to me too, I'll discuss that with our developers and then will get back to you. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you Adriano, I greatly appreciate your help!

We will work to add the field again in the next release. I'm sorry about that, it was totally our mistake indeed. Is there anything else I can do for you?

That is most awesome news to wake up too. Thank You Toolset Team, You Rock!!!!

You are welcome.

Has this feature been added? I'm suing Types 2.2.16, but I don't see it.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.