Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Want to create a custom header with Toolset

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tristaD 3 years, 6 months ago.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am trying to create a custom designed page header that includes the logo, menu, and search. There used to be a way to do this with Layouts, but now I can't find anything for Blocks.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Your documentation on Blocks (but I can't really find anything related directly to this). I'm using the GeneratePress theme and I know I can scratch build a header there, but I'd prefer to use the super awesome Toolset stuff instead! The Layouts version of this used to be great for visual building.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
No. I thought this was possible, but I'm not sure that it is, so I don't have an example of this working somewhere. I am trying to create a menu (and footer, for that matter) that looks like the ones on this page: hidden link.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Any help would be awesome! Thank you!

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Trista

If you have an option to create custom headers with GeneratePress I suggest you use it, as Blocks is currently only able to replace the content area of the page, nothing else. We are monitoring WordPress plans to all full-page editing with blocks before making any decisions about how our approach evolves.

You are right that years ago Layouts offered full page editing, but only with integrated themes (there were a small handful of official theme integrations), and for other themes you effectively had to gut the theme templates so that Layouts would generate all of the output inside the body tag. We don't support that any longer, so I suggest you explore the possibilities of the theme.

Thanks Nigel. I appreciate it!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.