Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views Query Filters overwrite filter values

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 31 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by nickK-8 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Thank you for your feedback. I can see the issue, as soon as we update any view on the content template, other views's query filters get overridden.

I tested this on a clean install, but I got different results. What I did is duplicating the view block, check this screenshot hidden link
I was not able to name each of the views with a different name, my updates to one view are automatically propagated to the other view, maybe this statement is false, as it appears that the block editor is treating both blocks as a single view. When I update the name of the view on one block, it gets updated on the other one.

Then I tried to insert the view again and the editor asked me to update the original view or a copy, so I choose to edit the copy and I was not able to reproduce the issue. Editing the first or the second view has no effect on the other view.

I suspect that either the views that you have currently on the content template were created by a copy or duplication. Or that your server is implementing a caching layer that interferes with how Toolset and the Block editor are working. In that case, we can migrate your website into our platform and check what is the issue.

Would you like to create a new content template, and create a similar design(4 views), but create each view a part without copying/duplicating any previous view. Does the issue appear on this new content template too?

Thanks -- I'm glad you're seeing something similar.

I can confirm that these blocks on this view were not made by duplicating Views or Containers (or duplicating at all. I was trying to eliminate that as a possibility on this round).

Nevertheless, I've tried a fresh Content Layout ("test") and you can see in there I've started with the first 3 Views (each created from scratch this time too, each titled "test_"*), and already the same behaviour is being presented.

I've previously experimented with activating/deactivating the 'cache View' option, which didn't seem to make a difference, but obviously, I have wondered about it earlier in this thread.

What do you need to more thoroughly test/resolve this?

The caching plug-in I'm using (at my host's request) is StackCache.

Jamal
Supporter

This smells like a cache issue. And I found one ticket on our forum related to StackCache. It was due to a cache issue.

To be sure about it, we'll need to test a copy of your website in a different environment. If you can create a staging site from a copy of your website where StackCache is not active that would be great. Otherwise, we can either take a copy of your website using Duplicator and I can test it locally, or I can create an installation on our platform and send you the procedure to migrate your website there.

Let me know what you would prefer.

Sounds promising!

I don't have the power/ability/knowledge to create a staging site. If you could take a Duplicator copy and see how that works for you locally, that would be the best first step.

Thanks!

Jamal
Supporter

I just built a copy of your website and I'll investigate it. It seems that the issue is still reproduced and I'll need more debugging. But I got to the end of my shift, I'll work on it tomorrow morning and get back to you with my findings.

Thank you for your collaboration and patience.

Jamal
Supporter

I confirm this bug as I was able to reproduce it on a clean install with a similar content template(including 4 views).
Let me escalate this ticket to our 2nd Tier for further analysis and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for the update, Jamal.

I'll take that as good news!

Fingers crossed and standing by for an update/fix.

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you for your feedback. I was not able to fix the archive template as I did in my local setup.
Let me escalate this to our 2nd Tier for further analysis. And I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Hi Jamal - checking if you've heard back yet on an ETA for a fix to this query/caching issue.

Thanks

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

I just checked the escalated ticket and there is nothing yet to share. Our 2nd Tier is still working on it, hopefully we can have feedback next week.

Sorry, but we do not have an ETA yet. But I'll get back to you as soon as we have something to share.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Nick

Jamal isn't working today so let me just share a detail I found while testing this.

I found that the Query Filters were overwritten only when saving the page.

If you have done everything you need to on the page, save it, then update the individual Query Filters as required and then navigate away from the page. In those circumstances I found the separate filters were preserved, if you'd like to try that as a workaround in the meantime. We are nearing the end of the current dev cycle, and this issue is likely to be fixed as part of a short bug-fix and usability-focused subsequent cycle.

Hi Nigel, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure I fully understand the work-around. I assume you're not saving the individual Query Filter terms as you go either?

In your work around, do you ever see the updated filters reflected in the VIew, or – due to caching? – the filters and images in the views remain "incorrect" until the page is published, at which point the filters are all saved/preserved together and reflected correctly?

By not saving the individual filters as I update them, all I'm seeing is that they revert to the previous state after I navigate away from them. And, of course, when I do save the updated, I get the overwriting issue.

Thanks for the update on the dev cycle. Any idea how soon that next bug-fix sprint will start/finish?

Jamal
Supporter

Hello!

Currently, we cannot tell when this will be fixed, hopefully, it will be part of the next dev cycle.

I tested another workaround based on several content templates and it worked for me. Instead of having 4 views inside the content template, we can have 1 view and 3 content templates, each of them containing one view, the content template will be designed similarly to:
- 1 view for the top page slider.
- 1 content template that contains a view with the selected categories filter.
- 1 Content template that contains a view with the Sustainability category filter.
- 1 Content template that contains a view with the "Sustainable Living" category filter.

As soon as the original issue is handled by developers, I'll keep you informed.
Let us know if the workaround is a viable solution for you right now.

Hi Jamal

Sorry for the slow response -- I've not had a chance to play with this workaround yet.

Is there any word on a permanent fix yet? I'd much rather work properly than spend a bunch of time trying to force something imperfect in short term.

Thanks

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Nick,

I checked our internal issues tracking tool and the issue is scheduled for the coming dev release. I can't tell when it will be fixed. Hopefully, it will be fixed in the next release of Toolset Blocks, but I can't give a guarantee or an estimated date.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.