Skip Navigation

[Escalated to 2nd Tier] views does not filter results based on user location

This support ticket is created 2 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Hi, I have set a few posts with address, created a Classic View, added a User Location based query (Show posts within 5km radius of the viewing user's location.) and in the front end, when inserting that View, I still see all posts, and no ask is prompted to share location.

my browser settings are to allow location share, and even if I set them to ask, it does not ask

I have tried the same view with an actual custom search using user input and there, when I press "use location" it does work.

Thus, this seems broken when only a Query filter for user based location is added, but no actual custom search.

Am I doing anything wrong?

The query filters clearly allow to adda a Query filter by user location. And it should ask me for permission when I load that page. In fact, this works when I add this showrtcode anywhere on the page: [wpv-geolocation][/wpv-geolocation]

When I add this to the loop [wpv-geolocation][/wpv-geolocation], then it works (sometimes). But not always 😀

And... it seems to not work when I Disable the wrapping DIV around the View , of course, since then anything outside the Loop is stripped

Bottom line, If I add a query filter by user location, it just has to ask, that's all 🙂

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello Beda!

The issue is escalated to the developers. The permissions request does not trigger in Firefox too. And In Chrome/Edge private browsing. Hopefully, this will be fixed in an upcoming maintenance sprint.

I'll keep you updated here as soon as we have something to share.

All the best,
Jamal

Thanks Jamal

Both me and my Client would appreciate of course a speedy solution to this. As well some other users (FB) seem to see the same and that is on already existing sites.

I wanted to add an issue that you could kill in the same:
when you add a Query filter for location (classic view) and then save, and then change the setting of that query view from lets say "by shortcode attribute" to anything else, the view does not save.
Usually it would either save automatically, or it would show a save button which when pressed, saves the new settings.
But not so with location query filter. You have to literally delete the query filter, save the view, add the query filter again with your changed settings, and save the view again. Only then it will persist.

I guess it could be resolved in the same iteration because it affects the same query filter, but it is not that urgent as at least there is a workaround 🙂

Sorry for posting it here, I just thought it is pointless opening once again another ticket as it is all the same "group" of things affected.
Thanks.

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you, Beda, for your feedback and for reporting this usability issue. However, I could not reproduce it on the Sandbox site. I was able to change the query filter on this view without needing to remove it and recreate it again. As soon as I click on the "close" button of the distance filter section, the view is saved without issue. I can confirm it by reloading the view and verifying if the query filter is saved.

Maybe, I missed something! If that's the case, please record a screencast of your manipulation or let me know what steps should I follow to reproduce the issue.

>As soon as I click on the "close" button of the distance filter section, the view is saved without issue.
Right!
Who would have thought that closing the settings thingy would save the settings.

However, try to keep it open, and then maybe make some edits elsewhere to trigger the blue (main) save button of the View.
Pressing that, wont save your changes in the query.
Also, the blue "save" of the query itself should become active as soon we make changes... just like it is with all other query filters we can add.
As soon you add any other filter, or make changes to any other filter, it will have a blue save button instead of a "close" button.

And, it will actually save the changes, even if we press the view's main blue save button, as opposed to the distance filter.

So I guess the addon issues are 2 actually.

1. The button that saves, instead of being blue and saying save, is grey and says close.
2. When saving the whole view (without first closing the query filter for distance) will not save the changes to the distance filter just made, but it saves all other query filter changes made.

I've replicated this on the sandbox you had shared in the same view.
Added a "Author" filter, and changed the other query (distance)
If you leave distance query open and save the view, the distance query wont save any change, but author will.
And, author will have a blue save button, actually indicating where to save, whereas distance, will only have a "close" button which is certainly not indicating to be meant as save button 😉

New threads created by Jamal and linked to this one are listed below:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/distance-query-filter-does-not-save/

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you very much 🙂 I now understand the issue. So, I created a new ticket for it. I'll follow up on it there.

Thanks again!

Hi Jamal
Thanks!

It’s asking me to close this one here… thus replying.

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Beda!

I am setting this thread as escalated to our 2nd Tier to keep it open. I am also afraid the resolution of this issue may take some time before it is fixed. I'll keep you updated as soon as we have something to share.

All the best,
Jamal