Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Views are slowing the site down heavily

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

Hi,
the website centrodimedicina.com is having loading problems both in the frontend and in the backend. Analyzing the pages with GT Metrix you can see how the slowdowns are due to admin-ajax.php calls, I wrote to our hosting provider (Flywheel) that found the main cause in WP Views plugin which is putting a lot of strain on the server when the site gets even moderate amounts of traffic to it.

They wrote me:

[START OF FLYWHEEL'S MESSAGE]

The issue stems from what are called "POST" requests, which interact with the server's backend (either to fetch or update information on the server), each of which will put strain on the server.

The problem with this is that the site appears to spawn these POST requests frequently, and based on my findings it appears to happen per-visitor, per-pageview. This is less than ideal because if every single visitor to the site is spawning hits to the server's backend then development of the site has created a situation in which the server's overall stability is directly tied to the amount of traffic the site actively has at any given time. This is a bad place to be since traffic influxes can topple the server and lead to slow response times (504 errors) or even site outages (502 or 503 errors).

Currently, on the home page for example, WP Views generates upwards of 16 calls to WP Views in order to the fetch the view counts of various pages. This is a tremendous performance issue which is exhausting your site of resources

[END OF FLYWHEEL'S MESSAGE]

How can I optimize the website and reduce these post requests? Are there some settings I can choose on Views to lighten them up?

I'm going to provide you with admin access but please note that since this is a multisite project we can't create a staging copy, so YOU'LL GO INTO THE PRODUCTION WEBSITE. Please contact me before making any changes.

Thanks,
Nicola

Hello,

I have tried the your website home page, I see only 4 AJAX requests from Toolset Views plugin, you can find and edit those views in home page, disable AJAX search and pagination feature, it should be able to reduce the AJAX requests.

And here is a document about "How to Use Views Custom Search on Large Sites"
https://toolset.com/documentation/legacy-features/views-plugin/how-to-use-views-parametric-search-on-large-sites/

For your reference.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.