Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Unable to get grandparent post field to display

This support ticket is created 4 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by dbarber 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I have the following 3 custom post types:

Events
Sessions
Speakers

In terms of relationships, Events can have Sessions and/or Speakers. And Sessions can have Speakers.

I want to be able to display links to events that speakers have spoken at on each speaker's profile page, but so far I am only able to display events where the speaker was added directly to the event.

I am not able to get links to events where the speaker was added to a session and then the session was added to an event.

I have tried every possible combination of post field relationship I know of - e.g.,

[wpv-post-link item="@event-speaker.parent"]
[wpv-post-link item="@event-speaker.child"]
[wpv-post-link item="@event-speaker.intermediary"]
[wpv-post-link item="@event-speaker.association"]

I've played around with query filters and content selections.

I have tried to get it to work with the instructions in this tutorial (on displaying grandfather fields): https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-display-related-posts-with-toolset/displaying-fields-of-grandparents/

But, no matter what, I can't seem to get events to show up on a speaker's page if the speaker was added to a session (and then the session was added to the event).

I feel like I must be missing something obvious and have been staring at this for so long now that I am blind to it.

Please help me unbreak my brain.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

You can use the same method which is mentioned here:
=> https://toolset.com/documentation/post-relationships/how-to-display-related-posts-with-toolset/displaying-fields-of-grandparents/#3-create-a-content-template-that-displays-grandparent-information

So, considering the following relationship:
- State
-- City
--- Employee

Create new content template and add the fields to it - the top level (Where you should replace the "state-city"relationship slug) with your Event-Session post relationship slug:

[wpv-post-link item="@state-city.parent"]

Then when you add content template - add the item attribute to content template using the (where you replace the "city-employee" relationsihp slug with Session-Speaker relationship slug.):

[wpv-post-body item="@city-employee.parent" view_template="ct-to-display-state-of-employee-post"]

Does this help?

Hi Minesh

Thanks for the quick reply.

I gave it a try on a Discover WP installation and failed a bunch more times before looking more closely at the item attributes in your example above (as well as in the post you linked to).

I realized one of the ones I was trying to use was incorrect, so I added the correct one and, after playing around with the filters for a bit, it's now working as it should.

Thank you so much for your help!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.