Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Two possible bugs in Access

This support ticket is created 2 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Author

Today I had a shock, I logged in to my site, because a collaborator of mine was complaining that they could not see certain menu items anymore to which I gave them rights to, using Access.
I wanted to control the Access settings and discovered the plugin deleted. I re-installed it, and all settings where defaulted to vanilla.

While this is weird enough, I obviously don't think this was a Toolset Bug, it must have been whatever else witchcraft, which not only deleted the plugin, but also successfully deleted all its settings, which can usually only happen if you press "Reset Access settings"
Just mentioning it here in case you have seen similar reports.
It was not a hack, as nothing else was defaced or changed - and the logs do not show any suspicious activity either, they do not even show the plugin being deleted (checked for references to wp-admin/plugins.php?action=delete).

Weirdest thing ever, however...

---

In the attempt of rebuilding my Access settings, I noticed two issues:

1. When I saved the posts and pages and CPT rights, the first time, and reloaded the page, nothing was saved and it all fell back to default. I saved the settings again, and this time it worked.
2. In the "Types Fields" tab I noticed that by default, "Guests" are set to "View Fields In Edit Page". This made no sense to me. Why should Guests be allowed to see fields in the edit page? By what I understand, the guests should not even appear in that settings table, since guests cannot login, thus, cannot see or edit anything in an edit page. Do I miss something here?

I didn't take the time to replicate #1 on a clean install but I think I have seen this exact behaviour on other installs a few weeks ago.
The first time Access is installed it won't save the post settings, only the second time saving them will work.

Issue #2 should be easily "replicable"

Cheers.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

That is really weird and how come Toolset Access plugin automatically deleted even I wonder. I do not see any other user reported such issue recently.

Regarding:
1. When I saved the posts and pages and CPT rights, the first time, and reloaded the page, nothing was saved and it all fell back to default. I saved the settings again, and this time it worked.
==>
I checked with the clean install where I created the custom post type "Student" using Types plugin and then I've installed the Toolset Access plugin and set the "Student" post type managed by Access plugin and granted all capabilities to "Contributor" role and saved and when I refresh the page I can see with "Contributor" role all assigned capabilities are saved successfully on first try.

I do not able to reproduce the issue.

2. In the "Types Fields" tab I noticed that by default, "Guests" are set to "View Fields In Edit Page". This made no sense to me. Why should Guests be allowed to see fields in the edit page? By what I understand, the guests should not even appear in that settings table, since guests cannot login, thus, cannot see or edit anything in an edit page. Do I miss something here?
==>
Yes, I can see the same, let me allow to report it and ask is there any specific reason behind that.

Thanks Minesh, indeed, it is puzzling me too about the removal of Access. Great you haven't any other report in regard, perhaps something just went bad on this site.

About issue #1, ok.
As said I hadn't time to test on a clean install, so I will just take this as another quirk on my (old) site.

About #2, great!

Thanks a lot for the feedback...

Minesh
Supporter

I've escalated the issue #2, please hold on for further updates. I'll get in touch with you as soon as I know more.

Minesh
Supporter

Hi Beda,

Regarding issue #2 - I escalated it and insight has been shared with the Devs. Please note that there is no ETA on it. You are welcome to close this ticket.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.