Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset Theme Author Pro: Building Themes with Genesis Framework

This support ticket is created 5 years, 2 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by anthonyT-3 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
2019-01-25_15-24-08.png
2019-01-25_15-31-07.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Create Toolset based child themes using the Genesis Framework. I want to use the Genesis Framework to only support Overall design and typography, Header and Footer areas and menus. I not only want toolset to control CPTs on the frontend, I want toolset to control the templates for pages and default posts. I would like to know if I can override the genesis loop and only let toolset control the loop?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Using template parts:
https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/creating-templates-single-custom-posts/
hidden link

Using Toolset with Genesis

https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/layouts-genesis-integration/designing-templates-genesis-using-toolset/
https://toolset.com/documentation/recommended-themes/layouts-genesis-integration/

Attached images:

Toolset Dashboard view (genesis sample child theme)
Genesis Framework single.php

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

Actually you can overwrite the genesis loop, however this isn't done by using the php file.

This is done by using our Views Content template then assigning that content template to a CPT that you want to use views to design the content output.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

2019-01-25_18-10-11.png

Hi Shane,

I have no problem with CPTs. What I am trying to discover is a way to override the Genesis loop on default post types (built-in wordpress/genesis post types.

I added a CPT and took a screenshot of the new toolset dashboard to illustrate.

In https://toolset.com/documentation/customizing-sites-using-php/creating-templates-single-custom-posts/ there is a discussion on using template parts and a master single.php. I wanted advice on this approach on building commercial toolset themes based on the Genesis framework, but not using the Genesis loop at all.

All the best,

Anthony

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Anthony,

In this case you will need to make a changes to the single.php file if you want to overwrite the single.php template.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this when you can use the content template to overwrite the default loop for Pages and Posts without touching any PHP.

If content templates are used then the genesis loop is pretty much used to display this. It'll not display using the default way the genesis theme does it.

Here is an example of what you will need to do to rewrite that single.php file

<!-- Standard Twenty Sixteen article header output -->    
<article id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
    <header class="entry-header">
        <?php if ( is_sticky() && is_home() && ! is_paged() ) : ?>
            <span class="sticky-post"><?php _e( 'Featured', 'twentysixteen' ); ?>
        <?php endif; ?>

<?php the_title( sprintf( '<h2 class="entry-title"><a href="%s" rel="bookmark">', esc_url( get_permalink() ) ), '</a></h2>' ); ?>
    </header><!-- .entry-header -->

<?php twentysixteen_excerpt(); ?>

<!-- TYPES TIP: Custom call to Types function to render a custom field "Consultant Photo" --> 
    <?php echo types_render_field( "consultant-photo", array( "size" => "thumbnail" )); ?>

<div class="entry-content">

<!-- TYPES TIP: Custom call to get_the_term_list function to display a list of taxonomy terms that the current "Consultant" post belongs to -->       
    <?php echo get_the_term_list( $post->ID, 'spoken-language', '<p><strong>Spoken languages: </strong>', ', ', '</p>'); ?>

<!-- TYPES TIP: Custom call to Types function to render a custom field "Consultant Roles" --> 
        <p><strong>Role: <?php echo types_render_field( "consultant-roles" );  // Call to Types function for rendering a custom field "Consultant Roles" ?></strong></p>

As you can see we are using the types_render_field function to render the custom fields.

Thanks,
Shane

I am going to do some testing using genesis custom loops in conjunction with content templates to see what works best when creating a base Genesis Child theme for my toolset commercial themes.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.