Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Toolset custom fields group not showing on second language post editor.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I have a problem where custom fields don't always appear in the translation editor screen for my CPT. Also if I try to change the translation settings for a single custom field in WPML Settings, the settings are changed for the entire field group instead of just the field I edited.

Solution: Update to WPML 4.2 to receive the fix for this bug, then adjust the field translation settings as needed.

This support ticket is created 5 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 5 years, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

This is very disappointing feedback at this stage of proceedings, to be honest. I'm feeling pretty let down.

With this variety of critical problems having now affected this client's website for close to 2 months and with no end currently in sight, I'd expect a little more help from you then just "keep an eye on the WPML blog". I keep having to apologise to this client profusely every single week and assure them that fixes for all these problems will surely be coming soon. I'm not getting the same grace from you, despite it being your (team's) fault.

Surely given that you've escalated all these issues to your 2nd level team and I've been waiting for weeks already for proper feedback and a resolution, you can do better than point me to the blog?

If I had better information to give you, I would share it, because I know how you've been waiting on these issues. I am sorry this isn't what you want to hear. You know everything I know about the release schedule for WPML 4.2.0 right now, and when that changes I will inform you.

Hi Christian, I was excited to see the announcement of the 4.2 release this week, however we've installed it and the problem still isn't fixed - i.e. the Custom Fields still haven't reappeared in the Chinese editor.

What are the next steps to get this urgently resolved?

Hi, I am looking into this now and communicating with my 2nd tier support team. I will update you today with some feedback.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 3.04.54 PM.png
not-translatable.png
field-group-zh.png

The field group editor seems to be working as expected on my local, so I ran the same tests on the live site.

I just changed the post type "Types Groups (wp-types-group)" setting to be "Not translated" in WPML > Settings > Post Types Translation, and purged the caches. Now I see the field group "Facilities-custom-fields" appear in Toolset > Custom Fields > Post Fields tab with Chinese language selected in the top menu bar, as expected. I'm attaching screenshots here (not-translatable.png, field-group-zh.png).

Then I edited this English Facilities post:
hidden link
I scroll down to the list of Facilities custom fields and check these fields:
Full address: G53A, *****, Heng Fa Chuen (obscured for privacy here)
Directions "MTR: Heng Fa Chuen Station"
Food Type (Cuisine): "Italian" is checked
Email address: "enjoy@*********ise.com.hk" (obscured for privacy here)
Nearest MTR station: Heng Fa Chuen

I scroll down to Multlingual Content Setup and check these fields. The following settings are applied:
Full address: Translate
Directions: Copy Once
Food Type (Cuisine): Copy
Email address: Copy
Nearest MTR station: Translate

In the right column Language panel, I click the icon to edit the Chinese translation. In the translation editor, I see Full address and Nearest MTR station fields there for translation, as expected.

I click "cancel" the translation editor screen and return to the English post. I use the top bar to switch to Chinese.
Now I see the custom fields appear in the Chinese post editor. I'm testing the same 5 fields as before.
Full Address: "柴灣盛泰道100號杏花新城G53A" (editable)
Directions: "港鐵站: 杏花邨站" (editable)
Food Type (Cuisine): 意大利 is checked
Email address: "enjoy@*********ise.com.hk" (read-only)
Nearest MTR station: "杏花邨站" (editable)

Is this what you see as well?

Hi Christian - fantastic news, yes the custom fields are now back and working again!

We hadn't changed any settings when the problem first arose, so the bug fix in the 4.2 release seems to have been the key (as I guess you already tried adjusting the settings when you first had a look at the problem back in December) .

Such a relief to have this sorted. Thanks for your help.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

That's fantastic news. I'm going to look through your related tickets today and follow up where I can.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.