Skip Navigation

[Resolved] This block has encountered an error and can't be previewed

This support ticket is created 3 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by treyD 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author
tool.block.png

I have read all the threads about this "block can't be previewed" issue, and cannot make this problem go away.
I have updated my theme, plugins, disabled Yoast, etc etc etc. and still cannot make any new pages with blocks.
I have gladly provided access to this site.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

I tried to login with the provided access to no avail. Can you double-check the username/password and update the credentials again?

I will also need to know where do you encounter this issue? In a content template, view, custom post type? What Blocks do trigger this issue?

Hello Jamal, I have updated the credentials. Sorry that it didn't work at first.
Same user/pass that I indicated at first.

Can you please try to edit this page: hidden link
And you'll see that the block is not previewable and I can't place any Toolset blocks.
I aim to create a library of previewable video, much like what is already in the site under AV Library on the main menu, but with 3-column bootstrap table.

Thank You

Jamal
Supporter

Sorry, but the credentials are still not working. Can you test them from your end? Then update the old credentials or enter a new one on your next message, which will be private.

I wonder what did you mean by "AV Library in the main menu", all I can see now, on the front-end is:
- About
- Book
- Podcast
- Blog
- Free Library Membership
- Contact

Jamal
Supporter

Thank you! I was able to log in and I believe to find the cause of this issue "block can't be previewed". The page was assigned a layout that does not exist anymore, maybe it was deleted. Check this screenshot hidden link

The missing layout is using the "Full Library(#1017)" view and that is the only thing that gets rendered on the frontend.

To overcome the "block can't be previewed" error and continue building your page, just switch to the code editor and delete the code of the block/layout. Check this screenshot hidden link
Then you will be able to build the page using blocks.

Before going further, I would like to ask how you would prefer to build your website, using Layouts and legacy views? Using the new block editor?
Depending on your decisions, we can go separate ways:
- Using blocks: I would suggest dropping Toolset layouts and working with blocks and/or legacy views. You can activate both editors in Toolset->Settings->General. Then, you can create a content template and assign it to all or specific pages.
- Using Layouts: I would suggest, installing Toolset Views, which will deactivate Toolset Blocks automatically, and continue working as you were before. You may, even, deactivate the block editor for pages in Toolset->Post Types->Pages(edit link)

We, actually, encourage our customers to switch to using the blocks editor. In fact, we have put Toolset Layouts in a maintenance mode only, and we will not add features to it.

Let me know what you would prefer to use and what you would like to do with the "A/V Library" page.

Hi Jamal,

I will take your advice, and use the block editor and disable the Layouts editor.
I cloned the site in order to do this, and it's here: hidden link
Same login credentials.
So, the problem persists. I am trying to create a content template and I run into the same problem with a new template.
I've bot Toolset installed on at least three other sites and I've not hit this wall with any of them, at least in this way.
I'm selectively disabling plugins to see if there's a conflict, but so far I have not been successful.
This is truly exasperating, and my client is getting pretty impatient. Anything you can do to help figure this out will be great.
I will let you know if I discover any conflicts.
Thank for your help.
Trey

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Jamal is on vacation. This is Minesh here and I will handle take care of this ticket. Hope this is OK.

First I checked on the test site you shared and I found that the site is set to use the https but the wordpress URL and site URL is set to use the http. So, I changed it to use the https at: Settings => General and saved the settings.
=> hidden link

I can see now the page you mentioned is working. I can add the blocks now.
=> hidden link

You should apply the same change on your live site.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.