Skip Navigation

[Resolved] The layout is not working for anything other than search.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: After a recent update, my plugins were deactivated and reactivated. Now the Product Layout isn't working correctly and I see 404 errors for several pages.

Solution: Resave your site permalinks.

This support ticket is created 5 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by veronicaG-2 5 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
search-layout3.jpg
search-layout2.jpg
search-layout1.jpg

I am trying to: All my plugins got deactivated and reactivated - with a security update. Once I reactivated all of them the product layout isn't working correctly. If it's search using the search box it works, but for anything else it says Page not found. This layout is used for these loops:
Product archives - blank page
Search archives - works
Artist Name archives - says "Page not found"
Primary Color archives - says "Page not found"
Category archives - says "Page not found"
Tag archives - says "Page not found"
Ratio archives - says "Page not found"
Release archives - says "Page not found"

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: example of artist archive: hidden link
I expected to see: hidden link - if I just type in aaron summers in the search box it appears correctly.

Instead, I got: Page not found

Toolset Plugins had no recent update related to security, hence I assume you refer to another Software that made this happen.

Toolset Layouts does not produce the Pages, it just styles them, hence, it cannot produce 404's.
Did you confirm that if you disable Toolset, the issue is removed?
I assume it will persist, because that error, 404, is not related to Layouts in general, it is rather related to the server or maximally to Toolset Types if those are post Types registered by Toolset.

E404 cannot be related to the Layout applied to the posts, as that is just a "mask", not the actual post or permalink.
This is handled by the server, by the registering agent (which might be Toolset Types) and the Theme, but not Layouts.

I would suggest proceeding as follows:

1. Update WordPress and other related software
2. Make sure the issue is still happening even if Layouts is not active
3. Resave permalink structure in WordPress
4. If the issue persists without Toolset, start removing other plugins and theme
5. If the issue is gone as soon you disable Toolset, please report back to me with a copy of the site (https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/) so I can have a closer look.

I am almost 100% sure, this issue will not be gone when you disable Toolset Layouts, and hence cannot be related.

taxonomies-searchbox.jpg
taxonomies-customtaxonomy.jpg
taxonomies.jpg

It's not about the layout... it's about the custom taxonomies that were created for products using toolset. I created taxonomies for things like Artist Name, Release, Color, etc...

If I use the search box to search an artist name... those images appear like usual. But if do things using the taxonomy they don't produce any results. For example on our home page if you scroll down you will see a series of six images - the images are linked to the page (using taxonomy) for each of those individual artists. So if I click on the image (link: hidden link ) I get the error page, but if I search using the search box the results appear. I included screenshots so that you can see what I am talking about. The taxonomies.jpg shows the Home page images... if you click on the beach palm tree image... it should take you to a page with all of that artists work... but it goes to the Opps error page. If I search using the search box (same artist name- as indicated in the address bar) then it brings up that artist work.

I know it's a taxomy issue as just above those images on the home page the Release taxonomy is used to link the latest collections (blue text just above images on the taxonomies.jpg image) and click those also returns the Opps error page.

Hi, I resaved your site Permalinks in wp-admin > Settings > Permalinks, and now it looks like the pages are showing as expected. Can you confirm?

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.