Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Suddenly WP displaying extra entry meta and footer meta on blog archive page

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author
Blog page - Extra (WP?) entry meta.png
Blog page - footer meta.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I do not know if this is a Toolset or WP issue. I updated WP a few weeks ago to 5.9.3 but didn't notice (or test) my blog archive page.
I just updated Toolset types,views,access,forms. (I do not use blocks for this 6 year old site.)
Now the blog listing/archive page displays extra post meta at the top of each post and in the post footer. My content template clearly has its own display for this meta.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
No. This site has been up for over 6 years using Toolset. I feel like there is probably something obvious which I am "missing."

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

Can you point me in the direction that is currently escaping my mind?
Thanks,
Jeff

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Jeff

What theme are you using? Would this be an integrated theme where Toolset allows you to override the theme settings when creating a custom archive (blog post archive in this case), and somehow those settings to disable to article header and footer have been reset or simply stopped working?

I can see that you could resolve the problem with the following CSS, but it doesn't explain why it happened:

.blog footer.entry-meta, .blog header.entry-header {
    display: none;
}

Hey, Nigel – Thanks for the reply and good to hear from you...

Unfortunately, I am using an old theme from Toolset ("Types-Views") called "Views_Base" that has long since been abandoned by Toolset. It does not support any of today's common theme settings or the customizer. But yes, I am perplexed how this suddenly appeared. I suspected it was a recent WP update but I could not find anything out of the ordinary.

I tried using some css overrides and it mostly worked, but as I was about to go test every post type to be sure nothing else was affected, I decided it just might be too big of a kludge for something so simple.

For now, I will try your css recommendation and see how that goes. I had actually addressed the selectors a bit differently, although I was able to make most of it disappear with display:none.

One more possible clue which I forgot to mention in original post is, the posts on the archive page list are supposed to show only the WP automated excerpt, and have been for ~6 years; but now they are showing the entire content of every post. I haven't looked into that part yet.

Thanks for the css, and have a good one, Nigel.

Jeff Safire
––––––––––

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the update and glad that the CSS code worked.

Without access to the actual theme files, it would be difficult to tell exactly which update resulted in this change. But, I'll recommend checking the theme's archive template file, to remove any unwanted HTML elements.
( ref: https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/ )

You're welcome to mark this ticket as resolved and start a new one for each new question or concern.

regards,
Waqar

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.