Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Star rating field type?

This support ticket is created 4 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 4 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am testing out views beta version 3.0-b2 and am wondering if there is any documentation on how to use the star rating and progress indicator blocks—which field type the blocks should be associated with, etc. I'm also trying to figure out if there is a built-in way to display an average value of all the reviews associated with a particular post/category of posts or if that requires a little custom coding.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
No. I assume because it is in beta there is not a lot of documentation, which is what I am seeking.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
Not presently. I'm only working locally right now.

What is the link to your site?
See above.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Geophray,

Thank you for getting in touch.

You are correct there is no documentation on this, however these fields need to be associated with a number type custom field.

I'm also trying to figure out if there is a built-in way to display an average value of all the reviews associated with a particular post/category of posts or if that requires a little custom coding.

This will require some custom coding to achieve. You will need to retrieve all the meta values as well as count the number of terms and divide it in order to find the average.

Thanks,
Shane

Thank you for the reply Shane! I appreciate you confirming the needed field type. I had experimented a little more after submitting this and found that the number type field is the one that came up in the drop-down list in the block options.

I have briefly looked into how star rating values can be collected using a cred form, but I'm not seeing how that would be accomplished. Are there plans to insert a similar block type on forms that can take that kind of input, or is that another case of needing to custom code that functionality?

Lastly, I'd love more information on best practices for setting the progress indicator block dynamically. Do you have any use case examples for how that block is intended to be used?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Geophray,

"I have briefly looked into how star rating values can be collected using a cred form, but I'm not seeing how that would be accomplished. Are there plans to insert a similar block type on forms that can take that kind of input, or is that another case of needing to custom code that functionality?"

The Progress bar is purely a visualization block for your number field. So on the frontend on a form you will enter the number in that form.
Then using the content template that would perhaps be assigned to this post you can set the progress bar to dynamically get the value from the custom field.

So whenever the user changes the value of the number field the progress bar will change as well.

"Lastly, I'd love more information on best practices for setting the progress indicator block dynamically. Do you have any use case examples for how that block is intended to be used?"

Unfortunately no we do not have such a use case, however one that I can think of is for a service log, to see the progress of a development.

So the progress can be depicted in the number field and on the frontend the user will see the progress bar.

For the ratings now this can be done to depict the star rating of a movie or product.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.