Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Stale (“junk”) custom type fields remaining in database after being deleted

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The question in this thread is that the customer wanted to delete his custom fields permanently.

Solution:
To permanently delete a custom field you will need to go to Toolset -> Post Field -> Post Field Control.

From here you can permanently delete the custom fields from your database.

This support ticket is created 6 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.73 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Harvey 6 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I am trying to: Remove custom fields entirely (the expected behaviour - why should these lie around when inaccessible/unreferenced by any field group? I understand these could be chosen via the field selection UI, but once deleted I can no longer see a way to further modify the type [e.g. for a select field type, add more options]).

The problem I have is that I can no longer re-create these fields as the stale versions hanging around the DB are getting in the way (so for instance, I cannot use the same slug, and would need to append "-2" on the end etc as a woraround which is messy).

This seems to be related to the following:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/clean-database-after-renaming-slug-of-types-custom-field/

However I cannot find the Types -> Control Custom Field option for the latest (October 2017) version of ToolSet?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Harvey,

Thank you for contacting our support forum.

To permanently delete a custom field you will need to go to Toolset -> Post Field -> Post Field Control.

From here you can permanently delete the custom fields from your database.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane,

I actually found this just after making this post - obviously the option is now in a different place to where it used to be for prior versions, and it escaped my notice as it was off screen sp I had to scroll down to see it. Perhaps it would be useful to have this on the ToolSet setting area also.

Regards,
Harvey.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.