Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Setting up a form for School Management system

This support ticket is created 8 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 6.15 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 8 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
Marks entry.png

I am trying to:
Set up a form for a school management system wherein a teacher can enter marks obtained by students in various assignments (over a period of time) and the end-semester examination too.
1. My question is how do i set up a post form for this?
2. On the teacher's page, how do i set it up (using views) to look like the one in the attachment?
3. When students login & search for their marks, they should be able to view their individual records only (not of the other students).

I have set up separate custom post types for Teachers and Students. I am a complete novice. Any help will be appreciated.

I visited this URL:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Thanks for contacting us.

My first observation is that you might not want to create custom post types for your students and teachers, unless there is a particular reason for you to do so.

Toolset allows you to set up post relationships so that a Student can be a "parent" of some documents, say, to effectively "own" them, but WordPress has this facility built-in, too, which may be simpler and serve you better.

For any content that is published (standard WordPress posts, or custom post types you create) that content has a post author. You can use Access to set up custom roles for Teachers and Students who can then be authors of your content. You will be able to set things up so that, for example, Students can only see their own work, or that Teachers can see the work of any Student etc. You will need to think that through to decide what works best.

(One thing to bear in mind when choosing is that there are major changes coming to post relationships within Toolset that will make using them more powerful and easier, and you can read more about that here: https://toolset.com/2016/08/how-post-relationship-replaces-post-reference-and-repeating-fields/.)

Start here with the Access documentation: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/setting-access-control/

Turning to your CRED form.

The sample layout in your screenshot, you can display content like that using Views (https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/view-layouts-101/) but it is far from straightforward to enter content in a form with that kind of format. CRED will auto-generate the markup for forms, but only in a traditional simple vertical list. If you want a table format you will need to craft the markup for that yourself (and have a plan for how it is going to work on smaller screens).

I'll assume for now you will be happy with a standard form layout.

So, the question remains, how to set up the data that your users will be entering on the form.

I would imagine something like a custom post type for assignments, with most of the required information stored in meta fields, which is what you will need to think most about.

The student might be the post author, you would need fields for what period the assignment refers to, the grade etc.

You say you are a novice. We have some very good training materials, and although it is not directly comparable, I would recommend you follow one of the courses such as https://toolset.com/learn/build-directory-classifieds-sites-using-toolset/ which will give you a good grounding in how the different pieces of Toolset are linked and is worth your time.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.