Skip Navigation

[Escalated to 2nd Tier] Serious problem with slow performance of website

This support ticket is created 3 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 3 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hello, we have serious problem with slow performance of website - really slow queries on DB.

When i turn on Query monitor plugin I can see it comes from Elementor. But Eelementor support figured out it was caused od TOOLSET. I copy here reply of elementor supporter.

Hi, any news?

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for waiting.

I've done some testing around your website's loading times ( specifically the "/aktuality/" page ) and it seems to load well under 10 seconds, on an average.

If you'll check your website's page(s) through speed/performance testing tools like Pingdom ( hidden link ) and GTmetrix ( hidden link ), you'll find the common issues related to points, like:

1. Leverage browser caching

2. Make fewer HTTP requests

These points are not related to database queries, but how content is being rendered on the front-end. Any good cache and code minification plugin can help you improve upon these points.

You'll also find the gneral suggestions from this guide, useful:
hidden link

During auditing the database queries through the Query monitor, I couldn't see any queries which are unwanted or unneccessary. The more content we need to show on a webpage, the more information it will need from the database and hence it will take more time. And no matter how small, this also keeps adding up, as we include more plugins and with the growth of the data itself.

At Toolset, we're constantly improving the built-in optimizations and cache utilization to speed up the processing, but this needs to be done without making compromises on the ease-of-use or the diverse nature of its features. Our goal is to offer a tool that can be used for many different type of projects, for users with different proficiency levels.

Tip: If you notice slow loading speeds at a particular time, while logged-in as an administrator, try a different browser where you're not logged-in. WordPress, different plugins and the active theme, all can schedule certain administrative tasks to run in the background and even load more resources for the admins, than for visitors.

I hope these findings will help.

regards,
Waqar

Hi!
At time to time this section works fast hidden link , but when you make more clicks on articles, performance go down.
I am not happy with your answer at all.
Why we got slow queries on database?
Why Toolset generated it?
Why you dont pass this ticket to the toolset programmer?
Which Cache module you recommended to solve this bug of Toolset '_wp_attached_file' slow query?

Please take it serious because we want to deliver great websites for our customers.
We like Toolset module, but if your module have this slow query bugs, we must start using ACFpro.
Thank you for your help in advance.
Regards.

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

If you're not satisfied with my previous reply, I can esclate this for further investigation. But, for that I'll need a clone/snapshot of your website.
( ref: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ )

I see that the Duplicator plugin is already installed on your website. Do I have your permission to directly download a fresh clone/snapshot from the website?

Hello Waqar, yes of course you can download duplicators clone for debuggin purpose on your stagin server.
Many thanks for your interest and looking forward to solve this problem.
Regards.

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for your permission.

I've shared the details and the duplicator package with the concerned team for further review.

I'll keep you updated, on the progress through this ticket.

Hello Waqar, any news ?

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+00:00)

Hi there

I've been looking into this on a copy of your site installed locally based on the information I've had from Waqar.

I was originally looking at the /aktuality/ blog archive page, which is what is discussed in your comments with Elementor support, but that appears to be functioning normally and doesn't involve the use of Toolset, it is made entirely with an Elementor archive template. I'm guessing you changed that after the discussion with Elementor.

I've since been directed to look at an individual aktuality post, which—again—is made with an Elementor template. I can see the duplicate queries using attachment_url_to_postid, and see that they occur specifically with the Elementor gallery module that uses the Types image custom field as the image source, which I've confirmed by deleting everything else from the template (including a View that appeared below), so leave just the gallery. There are 5-7 duplicate queries for every image in the gallery, and I'm now looking into whether that is because Elementor makes 5-7 requests for each image or whether Elementor makes a single request for each image and that translates into 5-7 duplicate queries by Types.

I'm still working on it, I'll update you again.

Nigel
Supporter

Thanks for your patience.

Examining the calls that lead to the duplicate queries, they originate in code written by Elementor, and the logic that makes repeated calls appears to be theirs, but I've escalated this to our developers so that someone can take a look and give a second opinion.

I'll mark this ticket as escalated, and we'll be back in touch when I have some further feedback.

Hello, any news ?

Nigel
Supporter

Sorry for the late reply, I'm still catching up with some tickets after we had a very busy spell at the same time as some unexpected absences.

Our developers did look at this, and said that they were surprised that Elementor support had suggested this was a Toolset issue.

The problem occurs because of repeated calls to the attachment_url_to_postid() function (a standard WordPress function), and it is Elementor that does that, not Toolset.

The code in question that makes these repeated calls is in plugins/elementor-pro/modules/dynamic-tags/toolset/tags/toolset-gallery.php

Our developers suggest that Elementor rewrite the relevant code, where they may want to introduce a caching mechanism if they cannot avoid making such repeated calls.

My colleague who manages relations with 3rd party vendors contacted Elementor a week ago to pass on some suggested code changes they may want to implement, but there is nothing else we can do as the issue arises within Elementor plugin code and isn't in any way connected to Toolset APIs, it is just their use of standard WordPress functions to retrieve data (albeit data that was created with Toolset).