Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Multistep CRED Form

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

This support ticket is created 7 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nicholas 7 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

Hi Toolset Team!

I was just wondering if it's possible to save the user progress for a form using the "ajax submit" and the "keep displaying this form" setting in CRED forms

I divided my form into different tabs to be more user friendly. Users can navigate through the tabs, either clicking right on the tab or clicking a "continue" button.

Do you think it's possible to use an ajax submit button and call it a "save progress" button, to save the progress. Will this do the job to save the users progress in case the user wants to continue filling out the form later on?

Please let me know

Have a nice day

Nicholas

Do you mean for the case teh user stops editing the post with the form, closes his browser and then later re-visits the Form?

All Data he visited previously will still be there.

If you would add a hidden Radio Button with as many options as you have Tabs, and then save a certain value when he submits the form (as example value "3" when he stops on tab 3) then you coudl also display the form again wiht Tab 3 open.

But since CRED does not support Tabs natively, it is part of your Application Logic to somehow get the current tab, and tell the Radio Field that it has to store a certain value given the Tab that is open.

You could use Custom JS to automatically select a radio field option when a Tab is clicked.
Being that Radio Field then already selected and saved to the DataBase, you could again use Custom JS to show the "n" Tab when the user Comes back.

Another point is, this is on a POST basis. Not User Basis.
If you need many users to use the Same form for the SAME POST, you need to store this as a user Field Value.
This would require Custom Code to update the User Field on Form Submission and also to get the User Field value when the Form is opened again.

So, a short answer is, no, this is not possible with CRED natively and without a certain amount and effort on Custom Code.

Hello Beda!

Thank you for your answer, I hope you guys don't have to much work.

I think I didn't express myself right and overcomplicated things.

Let's say I have just one big form. What if a user logs in starts filling out the form but doesn't finish it. Can the user progress be saved, so that when the user comes back the data he's filled in will be still there?

Or:

Is it possible to save a draft and then display the draft using "wp-types views", so when the user visits his account again he'll be able to continue filling out the form?

Thank you for your help!

Nicholas

Yes, sure, this is possible as elaborated above.

The Submitted Data is stored anyway, so it is not a problem to get back the data (already filled out) when the user comes back.

If each User can edit only a specific Set of posts, and no other user can edit those specific Posts, you do not even need to store the value for the User, as the user can simply re-open that Form and continue edit.

But keeping the "track of where he stopped", that is what requires a bit of Customization, the easiest being the one with the Radio Field that stores a value according to a step.

But it requires a Custom Action using the cred save_data API.
Also, it would require a Custom JS Script to populate the Radio field on the $_POST before you submit the Form

Natively, CRED does not yet support what is commonly called "Multi-step Forms".

Thank you Beda!

You helped me a lot!

I'll give this a try now.

Cheers.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.