Skip Navigation

[Closed] Rogue Pins Showing on Map

This support ticket is created 2 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I have an issue using maps on a site in development, where rogue pins seem to appear on the map in certain searches. Example here:

hidden link

There's a pin at the bottom of the UK map which shouldn't be within the radius and the address field for that property is correct. Even if I change the map address field to anywhere else in the UK it still shows within that search.

That search was for "Halifax, UK". However, if I search for say, "Birmingham, UK" the pin isn't shown.

Additionally, the search is ordered by distance, which works fine on loading the page. However, when users update the filters or click the search button, the order by filtering is lost. Obviously this isn't correct. Would some Javascript be needed to re-order them after the updated parametric search?

Would appreciate any insight you can give.

P.S. For the pin issue, I've tried a few methods like deleting the pin from the map cache, refreshing the pages (including the single property in the admin) etc. but it persists.

For reference, the coordinates for Halifax, UK are 53.72702, -1.85754. The coordinates used for the property are 50.910703, -0.562389.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To troubleshoot this extra map marker, I'll need to see how this view is set up in the admin area.

Can you please share temporary admin login details, in reply to this message?

Note: Your next reply will be private and please make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing these details.

During troubleshooting, I noticed a couple of issues with the view "Find a BNB Vertical", which are fixed now:

1. The URL parameter "toolset_maps_distance_center" was set in the ordering settings and in the "wpv-control-distance" shortcode, but in the distance filter query, "mapcenter" was set. I've set it back to "toolset_maps_distance_center".
( screenshot: hidden link )

2. In the "Search and Pagination" section, "compare_field" attribute in the shortcode "wpv-control-distance" had the value "toolset_maps_distance_center". I've changed it to "address-postcode" which is a slug for the address type field.

As for the issue with the incorrect result and order, it seems the view's query is getting affected by a third-party plugin or custom code.

Your website has the "Post Types Order" plugin activated, which is known to override all the WordPress queries, including the ones used in views.

I'll recommend testing the view again with all extra (non-Toolset) plugins disabled. If the issue is fixed, you can start adding the disabled items, one by one, to narrow down to the conflict.

In case the issue still persists, I'll need your permission to download a clone/snapshot of your website, to investigate this on a different server.
( ref: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ )

Screenshot-2021-09-09-at-18.15.59.jpg

Thanks very much for following up on this. The issue still persists however.

As per the attached image, you can see there's still a rogue pin at the bottom of the map which is the problem. I also see you removed the distance selector from the filters at the top.

I've tried disabling plugins and that rogue pin still shows, when it shouldn't since it's 202 miles away.

Any ideas?

You were correct about the Post Types Order plugin issue, thanks for pointing that out. I'll add a workaround.

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for the update and sorry to learn that the issue still persists.

Do I have your permission to download a clone/snapshot of your website, to investigate this on a different server?
( ref: https://toolset.com/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/ )

I'm waiting on the client to answer this, but I don't think they have the webspace to clone the site since it's rather large. Just updating so the thread doesn't get closed automatically.

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for the update and please take your time.

For large websites, you can exclude the "/wp-content/uploads/" folder from the duplicator package, which should greatly reduce the package's size. We don't need the media files for this investigation.
( https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ )

I've set your next reply as private again.

The topic ‘[Closed] Rogue Pins Showing on Map’ is closed to new replies.