Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Removing the default value of a select and set the first element as the default

This support ticket is created 3 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nelsonT-2 3 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi,

I want to filter some data based on a custom taxonomy. When I create the filter, I can use a select to filter them.

The problem is that I would like to remove the first "Show all" default element (I.e. just leaving it empty won't do) and use the first element from the select as the default value.

I.e. I have "Staff", "Boad of Directors", "State Affiliates", etc as categories. When I load the page, I would like "Staff" to be already selected and of course the view filtered by it.

I know that I can use a url similar to "url/?wpv-team-and-supporters-category=staff", but first it will not remove the first empty value (I could do it through jQuery, but I guess you have a better method through a php function) and I would like that by default I don't have to type a url setting (I.e. just "url/who-we-are/" so that I do have to update all the links or allow a user to remove the setting in the url and show everything. In other words, I'd like a function or a condition that says that if wpv-team-and-supporters-category is empty, then show "staff"... but since I can put just one filter per element/taxonomy, I can't really do that...

So, if there is a way in the View interface (I'm using the classic view, since I use Elementor), that's great! If not, is there a function that I could create to achieve this?

Thank you,
Nelson

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Nelson,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To pre-filter the view's results with respect to taxonomy term(s), you can use the "wpv_filter_query" filter:
https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

You'll find an example snippet for a similar requirement in this reply:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/pre-filtering-a-view-using-custom-taxonomy/#post-1964079

regards,
Waqar

Thanks a lot. All is working now and I added some jQuery code to hide the first empty element in the drop-down.

Now that I've added content for another category, I found a but in that code...

It works well in the sense that if no category is specified (I.e. if the url doesn't have any parameters) it shows the default one that I want (Staff). BUT, the problem is that none of the other categories now appear in the drop-down... I.e. I just have the default "Show all" (that is blank for me and that I hide via jQuery, but if I remove my jQuery code it appears) and Staff (first element in the drop-down, which is also the default I set), but none of the other taxonomy's categories appear.

What I want it the Staff to be visible and selected by default, but the option to select something else in the drop-down (and filtered through AJAX to prevent reload).

Here's the current code:
add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'wpv_filter_query_func', 1000 , 3 );
function wpv_filter_query_func( $query_args, $view_settings ) {
// skip if blocks edit screen
if ( defined( 'REST_REQUEST' ) && REST_REQUEST ) {
return $query_args;
}

// process if specific view
if ( !is_admin() && ( isset($view_settings['view_id']) && $view_settings['view_id'] == 17255) ) {

$found_index = 'no';

$target_tax = "team-and-supporters-category";

$target_terms = array('0' => 631);

// check if filter for the target taxonomy exists
for ($i=0; $i < (count($query_args['tax_query']) - 1) ; $i++) {
if ( $query_args['tax_query'][$i]['taxonomy'] == $target_tax) {
$found_index = 'yes';
}
}
// if filter for the target taxonomy doesn't exist, add a custom one
if( $found_index == 'no') {
$query_args['tax_query'][] = array(
'taxonomy' => $target_tax,
'field' => 'id',
'terms' => $target_terms,
'operator' => 'IN',
'include_children' => 1
);
}
}
return $query_args;
}

I also noticed that if I had the other categories in the array:
$target_terms = array('0' => 631, '1' => 633, '2' => 632, '3' => 634, '4' => 635);

Then it does show all of them in the select... but also doesn't really filter, as it shows everything... So, bottom line, if I select just one, just that one is also in the drop-down, and if I select many, there no filter by default (I.e. same as Show All)... Since I only have 5 categories, I guess I could just create a select manually... but I would like to avoid that to make it dynamic in case the client adds or removes one category.

Thank you.

Now that I've added content for another category, I found a but in that code...

It works well in the sense that if no category is specified (I.e. if the url doesn't have any parameters) it shows the default one that I want (Staff). BUT, the problem is that none of the other categories now appear in the drop-down... I.e. I just have the default "Show all" (that is blank for me and that I hide via jQuery, but if I remove my jQuery code it appears) and Staff (first element in the drop-down, which is also the default I set), but none of the other taxonomy's categories appear.

What I want it the Staff to be visible and selected by default, but the option to select something else in the drop-down (and filtered through AJAX to prevent reload).

Here's the current code:
add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'wpv_filter_query_func', 1000 , 3 );
function wpv_filter_query_func( $query_args, $view_settings ) {
// skip if blocks edit screen
if ( defined( 'REST_REQUEST' ) && REST_REQUEST ) {
return $query_args;
}

// process if specific view
if ( !is_admin() && ( isset($view_settings['view_id']) && $view_settings['view_id'] == 17255) ) {

$found_index = 'no';

$target_tax = "team-and-supporters-category";

$target_terms = array('0' => 631);

// check if filter for the target taxonomy exists
for ($i=0; $i < (count($query_args['tax_query']) - 1) ; $i++) {
if ( $query_args['tax_query'][$i]['taxonomy'] == $target_tax) {
$found_index = 'yes';
}
}
// if filter for the target taxonomy doesn't exist, add a custom one
if( $found_index == 'no') {
$query_args['tax_query'][] = array(
'taxonomy' => $target_tax,
'field' => 'id',
'terms' => $target_terms,
'operator' => 'IN',
'include_children' => 1
);
}
}
return $query_args;
}

I also noticed that if I had the other categories in the array:
$target_terms = array('0' => 631, '1' => 633, '2' => 632, '3' => 634, '4' => 635);

Then it does show all of them in the select... but also doesn't really filter, as it shows everything... So, bottom line, if I select just one, just that one is also in the drop-down, and if I select many, there no filter by default (I.e. same as Show All)... Since I only have 5 categories, I guess I could just create a select manually... but I would like to avoid that to make it dynamic in case the client adds or removes one category.

Thank you.

FYI, I just did some tests with a manual select and it does filter, but the selected element is not selected in the select... So, it looks like I would need to create another code to detect the option in the URL and add a "selected" attribute manually in the option of the select... Doable, but not the best solution...

Ok, found the issue... Needed to manually change the Custom Search Settings and set it to "Always show all values for inputs"... I was searching for this, but didn't remember where it was...

Thank you.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thanks for the update and glad that you've found the "Always show all values for inputs" option.

You're welcome to mark this ticket as resolved and start a new one for each new question or concern.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.