Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to sort or order custom field value having dollar sign and commas as number field value using views sorting

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to sort or order custom field value having dollar sign and commas as number field value using views sorting

Solution:
You should use WordPress standard filter posts_orderby to remove dollar sign and commas from text filter value and sort it as numeric.

You can find proposed solution, in this case, with the following reply:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/remove-dollar-sign-commas-from-numbers-field-values/#post-908752

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 5 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.03 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 10:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcusC-4 5 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Minesh.

Author

I have a custom post type called Listings that was created using WP Types. I need to be able to use the Number field type for sorting purposes.

However, on the backend, when someone is adding a new listing, it looks very strange to enter 10000000 instead of $10,000,000 -- plus who can keep up with all those zeros?!?

Is there a way to allow my client (the website owner) to enter their listing numbers using dollar signs & commas & have a function that removes those before they are queried so that those fields don’t appear empty on the front-end when displaying the listing?

I see that someone did a similar thing on this thread but I don’t understand all of that code: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/number-field-for-price-on-properties-views-filter-not-sorting-properly/

OR, if there’s a better way to set this up, please let me know.

Thanks

Actually, if it’s possible, I’d rather use the Single Line field option for these values & then force them to sort properly rather than using the Number field option.

So, here’s an example of 3 values
$1,000,000
$450,00
$10,000,000

When we sort these in a table on the front-end, they are only sorting by the first digit, not the entire number. Is there a way to fix that? If so, that solves all our issues.

Here’s a link to the page with that table on it so you can see what I mean: hidden link

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello. Thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

Well - is it possible for you to send me temporary access details so that I can check your view setup that will help me to guide you in right direction.

*** Please make a FULL BACKUP of your database and website.***
I would also eventually need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site. Preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed.

I would additionally need your permission to de- and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important. If you agree to this, please use the form fields I have enabled below to provide temporary access details (wp-admin and FTP).

I have set the next reply to private which means only you and I have access to it.

Minesh
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Could you please check now: hidden link

I've added following code to your current theme's functions.php file:

function func_orderby_asking_price( $orderby ) {
	global $WP_Views;

if($WP_Views->current_view == 907){
		 $orderby = str_replace( 'wp_postmeta.meta_value', "cast(replace(trim( leading '$'  from wp_postmeta.meta_value),',','')  AS UNSIGNED)", $orderby );
	}

return $orderby;
}
add_filter('posts_orderby', 'func_orderby_asking_price' );

What we are doing is replacing the $ sign as well as the comma to make the field as numeric and cast the field as unsigned. I can see its correctly sorting the asking price column now. Could you please confirm.

Minesh,

It’s working great -- and I see that the change has been applied to the other columns as well. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.