Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Relating a view to a form

This support ticket is created 5 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 2.26 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by mayurJ 5 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I have created a view according to the instructions in https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/creating-and-displaying-repeatable-field-groups/, but the view is not showing in the form. How is the view related to the form that I am using?

Is there any documentation that you are following?
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/creating-and-displaying-repeatable-field-groups/

Is there a similar example that we can see? Here is a screen shot of the loop, hidden link

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

The view is not showing in the form. How is the view related to the form that I am using?
The View should not be shown in the Form, and the Form should not be shown in the View. Those items should be separate. The Form creates one instance of a Repeating Field Group (RFG) that will then appear in the View along with the other instances of the RFG. Each Repeating Field Group instance, or "row", is added or edited individually by submitting a Form once. This feature is still pretty new, and our developers are working on ways to make it more intuitive. For now, the integration with Forms requires each RFG to be added or edited in Forms individually.

For clarification then, are you saying it is not possible to display repeated field groups in a post entry form?

In theory you could display the values of a Repeating Field Group in a View, and insert that View in a post Form. You cannot add or edit Repeating Field Group values in a post Form. You must manage Repeating Field Groups in their own Form, separate from the parent post Form. I hope this helps clarify.

And the form for the repeating field group could not be displayed until the post form was submitted? Is there any documentation for how to create this one a page?

Here is the current documentation for using Forms to create RFGs:
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/creating-and-displaying-repeatable-field-groups/front-end-forms-for-repeatable-field-groups/

If you would like to see a live example, I will be glad to set up a test environment on discover-wp.com where we can collaborate. Have you signed up for a discover-wp.com account yet? If not, please sign up using the email address associated with your Toolset.com account, so I can invite you to my test environment.

All right then, I have create the forms and place them on a separate page so the once the post form is submitted, the user is taken to the page with the repeated field groups. Is it possible to have these repeated field groups on the same page as the post form and make them available once the post form is submitted and have them automatically related to the post just submitted?

OK, I just created an account on discover-wp using my account email

hidden link

I've sent you an invitation to collaborate on a test site I have set up. Let's say this is a site that showcases famous Dogs. Those Dogs are performers. I have set up a post type called Dogs and an RFG called Appearances, which will hold information about each Dog Performance. Please visit this Page to add a Dog:
hidden link

You can see there is a post Form to create a new Dog. No RFG fields are visible here, because you cannot create RFGs before the post is created. After the Form is submitted, we redirect the User to the single Dog post. On that post, we have information about the Dog, a View showing the Dog's Appearances, and a Form where you can add an Appearance. This Appearance will automatically be connected to the current Dog because of this code in the Appearances RFG Form:

<div style="display:none;">
		[cred_field field='@appearances.parent' select_text='--- not set ---' class='form-control' output='bootstrap' value='[wpv-post-id id="$current_page"]']
	</div>

This code sets the value of the parent using the current page ID. It also hides the field so Users don't see it. When the Appearance RFG Form is submitted, the page reloads to show the updated Appearance View, and a clean Appearance Form where you can submit another Appearance.

So now let me respond to what you said before.
Is it possible to have these repeated field groups on the same page as the post form and make them available once the post form is submitted
The first post form creates Dogs. You cannot add RFGs to a post that does not exist yet, so showing the RFG Form along with the Dog Form doesn't help you accomplish anything. Once the Dog post Form is submitted, then it doesn't make sense to show the RFG Form on this page because the Create Dog Form will be refreshed and empty, not displaying the information from the Dog you just created. So it makes the most sense to redirect the User to another page or post where you will allow RFG Form submission.

...and have them automatically related to the post just submitted
Automatic relation to a post is achieved using the value attribute of the parent post select field, as described above. You can pass any parent post ID into the value shortcode attribute using another shortcode. You can use CSS to hide this field from your Users if you do not want them to modify the parent.

Let me know your thoughts and we can go from there.

Ok, on my test form, I have added the code, value='[wpv-post-id id="$current_page"' and have hidden the form group for the post select dropdown. This page contains two repeated field groups. one for emails and another for phone numbers. The first group appears and its submit buttons also does not appear and the second repeated field group does not appear at all. Looking at the page source, the form HTML is disabled. Do you know why the submit button and the second form group does not appear?

I've visited the discover-wp.com site but I do not have the access lever to see the details about the form.

Check your email and your spam folder. I've sent a couple of invitations to my test site, and you will have admin access once you accept the most recent invitation. If you can't find the invitation, I will send you my email address and you can invite me to your test site. I will require access as Administrator.

Thanks. Found a workaround: remove the programmer and hire a new one

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.