Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Related Posts

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The user wants to show related products and to have 3 items.

Solution:
The user was overriding the view limit to 2 from the Elementor editor.

This support ticket is created 4 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Pete 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

Hi there,

I am trying to have related portfolios at the bottom of every single portfolio post.

See at the bottom of this property: hidden link

There should be 3 columns of places to stay in the same category, this I have created a view specifically for this and this is added to Elementor as part of the builder.

I have watched these videos:
hidden link
hidden link

I have tried to set up a relationship, however I cant set this to portfolio to portfolio in any of the 3 options.

Really unsure why only 2 are showing, rather than 3.
And why or how I actually make this work for every portfolio (property) we'll have listed.

Any thoughts would be great 🙂

Thank you.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

We cannot create a relationship from-to the same custom post type. That's what taxonomies can do. You can, of course, show the portfolios from the same taxonomy as related posts.
Create a view to query Portfolios, the Query Filter should be:
- Select posts with taxonomy:
- Categories the same as the page where this View is shown
This will then automatically show Posts belonging to the same Taxonomy term as the current Viewed Post.
Check this article https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/filtering-views-by-taxonomy/

If you have any doubts implementing this, allow me temporary access to your admin area to check it closely. Your next reply will be private to let you share credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

plz see.png

Hi again Jamal,

Ok got you ref this. Done as you said and I guess it works, however it's returning the same posts for a number of the properties.
I guess it does not add a random element to this otherwise it'll be the same related post which isn't great.

See these 2 for example:
hidden link
hidden link

Also, should be showing 3 columns and it's only showing 2....is this down to the filtering too?

Jamal
Supporter

To show random related posts, you will need to choose random for sorting. Currently, you are ordering your related posts by Post Title.

About columns, maybe there are not enough related posts, or probably you have created the view to show only 2 columns on a grid. I'll need to take a closer look to see.

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

The view is used inside the Elementor template with new settings that override the limit of the related posts to 2. Check this screenshot hidden link

I increased it to 3 and it seems to work. Check hidden link

All the best,
Jamal

Plz see tablet.png

Hi Jamal,

Thank you for that however I never knew that was there, I didn't know there was an override setting in Elementor that affected Toolset. I know now 🙂

Ok, I added this to get the row down to 2 columns for table so I now have: <div class="col-sm-4 col-sm-6">

Works great however I can remember a method of stopping the third item wrapping round underneath, however I can't find this.

I already have this and tried to adapt it however no joy:

@media (min-width: 625px) and (max-width: 1580px) {
.row-family .col-sm-4:nth-child(n+4) {
display: none;
}
}
@media (min-width: 625px) and (max-width: 1580px) {
.row-family .col-sm-4 {
width: 50%;
}
}

Any ideas please?

New threads created by Jamal and linked to this one are listed below:

https://toolset.com/forums/topic/hide-the-third-columns-on-small-screens/

Jamal
Supporter

For support rules, we are able to handle only one issue at the time. This helps us to bring you a better service and also helps other users to find all the information here exposed.
For that reason, I have created another ticket and I'll be posting my reply on it.

I'll have to kindly ask you to mark this ticket as resolved and check the other ticket for my reply https://toolset.com/forums/topic/hide-the-third-columns-on-small-screens/

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.