Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Pulldown menues

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I am trying to: On this page - https://toolset.com/home/views-create-elegant-displays-for-your-content/ - you have an example video called "Creating Powerful Custom Searches. Each search has a pulldown menu of items. You claim this can be built using HTML.

As far as I can tell your pulldown selector is not a pulldown at all, but a list of all the options, which takes up too much space.

How do I use a Taxonomy Pulldown selector in a types, without writing custom javascript, as displayed in your video?

Thanks, Michael

Actually, to clarify, I need a pulldown selector that allows for multiple choices. Thanks, Michael

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

The video is demonstrating parametric searches, whereby the user on the front end can narrow down the results being displayed by selecting criteria in the dropdown select boxes, is that what you are trying to achieve?

Here is the documentation to do that:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/front-page-filters/

Let's say you are displaying standard posts, and you want to allow your users to filter them by category. You want a dropdown box where they select their category, and you want them to be able to select multiple categories.

So, you make a new parametric search View which will display posts.

I'm going to choose "AJAX results update when visitors change any filter values" so that the results update straight away when the user makes a change.

Now for my filter, which I will add with the New filter button when my cursor is between the wpv-filter-control shortcode tags.

I'm going to filter by categories. See the attached screenshot where you can see you have options to display your category terms in as radio buttons, checkboxes, a select box, or a multi-select box.

I can then add a content template to the Loop output section to manage the display of my posts in this search list.

Now, if you are referring to the appearance of the select box (or multi-select box), then that is determined by your theme (or your OS if the theme makes no attempt to style them).

As you can see here (hidden link), a multi-select box normally displays a list in a box. Views outputs the required HTML but doesn't make any attempt to style the results.

In your View you have the option to add custom CSS (and/or JS). If you are not happy with how your theme styles the multi-select you can add your own styles, or you could try adding a JavaScript utility to alter the appearance and functionality (searching google will yield many).

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.