Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post Form occasionally fail to save

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 2 years ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

URGENT: This message is for WAQAR. This is a continuation of this ticket, which I can't post to as it's resolved: https://toolset.com/forums/topic/post-form-occasionally-fail-to-save/ The debug & backup info is still the same and already part of that ticket.

THIS IS NOT A TOOLSET FORMS PROBLEM.

I rebuilt both Toolset forms using the forms widget in Elementor page builder. I set the new forms to save their posts as Elementor posts so they do not rely on Toolset plugins at all. I used Elementor's form widget to replace the same 2 email notifications that I has set up in the Toolset plugin. I am not using either Toolset Forms or Toolset Types for handling these forms and posts in any way.

The client notified me yesterday that the website is dropping the same volume of posts under this new configuration as it was using the Toolset Forms plugin. There are no errors on the site. SMPT Mail plugin log shows no sign that any notification emails have been sent at all for the posts that are failing to save, yet the same number of mystery email notifications are arriving to inboxes and they are valid leads from customers who buy things.

This is the most mind-blowing thing I have encountered. It cannot be that someone is accidentally deleting these mysterious posts because they couldn't possibly delete the record of the emails having been sent. The submissions that are not recorded also leave no trace in the email log. There are no error messages appearing anywhere near the timestamp on the emails when they arrive.

I have left your access to the site the same as before if you want to check this.

I checked the submissions on the dev copy of the site thinking that maybe some customers were accidentally making these submissions on that copy, but they are not. The missing posts are not on that system and the missing posts and mystery emails are all in the new format that I built using Elementor.

I can only think that these pages and the code generating the emails must be stored in a cache. But that doesn't explain how the emails have been sent without also adding a record to the STMP Mail plugin log.

This is probably the first actually haunted website on the internet!

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Sorry to learn that issue persists, even when using a completely different lead capture solution.

It is very strange that not only the lead posts are not saving, but, they are also not getting logged by the email logging plugin that you have.

Have you checked the untraced email leads yourself and does the content and format exactly match the new notifications that you get when Elementor's form is used?

I'll recommend inspecting and comparing the raw email headers of those emails to see if any difference can be found in the origin:
hidden link

You can also work with the client to make sure that there is no other channel available to receive the lead capture emails. It can be a third-party landing page or an old website, social media profile, hosted or embedded email capture forms from email marketing services, like MailChimp, Constant Contact, etc.

If it is established that those received emails are 100% the same as the ones received in case of a completely successful and tracked lead submission, you can take up this matter with the Elementor support team, to see if they have any more recommendations to share.

regards,
Waqar

There is a block of JavaScript code installed on the site that connects it to CallRail.com, which is a company that handles 800 numbers and form submissions. I suspect that CallRail is either caching the forms or their JavaScript contains bugs that cause the form to be ignored on the site even though CallRail is collecting the submissions.

It is important that you let your team know so that you don't waste time refactoring Toolset Forms plugin as we discussed in the other ticket. It is NOT Toolset forms that has this problem.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Thank you for sharing this and what you've shared sounds like a most plausible cause.

It is a relief to know that the Toolset Forms' design wasn't responsible for this and I'll pass on this feedback internally.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.