Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Post excerpt length returns 0

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jay 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

Jay
Screenshot 2022-06-10 at 4.29.59 PM.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?
Im trying to add a single field in an archive, but the length in Field options always returns to zero.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
Creating a Custom Archive Page in WordPress
https://toolset.com/lesson-placement/lesson-placements-1621271-1622285/

Is there a similar example that we can see?
hidden link

What is the link to your site?

Jay

Quick question does the excerpt function only work with the standard WP description. Or should it work with my custom field, which is "fields and text"?

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Jay,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Its quite possible that the post in the preview doesn't have an excerpt to display hence why you may not be able to modify the length.

Quick question does the excerpt function only work with the standard WP description. Or should it work with my custom field, which is "fields and text"?

I'm assuming here that you're still referring to the excerpt field. Then yes given that there is a dynamic data output option then you should be able to select the post excerpt as well.

Thanks,
Shane

Jay

Once again Shane is right and saves the day. I had read in the post that excerpts would not display unless every post had a description. I was 100% sure I had written a description for every location.
So I went through every post to make sure, it turns out I had only imagined writing all of them. Guess what? I had missed a couple.
So if your excerpt is not displaying in a view or archive, manually check every post to see it has a description before you contact support.
Thanks again Shane it now works as the training video described.
J

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Jay,

Happy I was able to help you out.

If there are no further questions on this then you can go ahead and mark this ticket as resolved.

Thanks,
Shane

Jay

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.