Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Possible conflict between Access and Events Calendar plugin

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

In the events type archive page, I got: "Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search."

Solution:

Please try this: Dashboard-> Toolset-> Access control-> Post types
find the post type "Event", click save button, and test again.
It will reset the Access settings.

Relevant Documentation:

This support ticket is created 3 years, 9 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by dbarber 3 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Luo Yang.

Author
Posts
#1234714

I am trying to: Use the latest version of Access with the latest version of the Events Calendar

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Site is under development and password protected

I expected to see: Events on the events type archive page

Instead, I got: "Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search." Everything was working until I updated Access to v 2.7. The problem remains with v 2.7.1. Events display as they should when I install and activate v 2.6.2.

#1234846

Luo Yang
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Chinese (Simplified) (简体中文 )

Timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

Hello,

I assume we are talking about "The Events Calendar" plugin, download from:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/

Please try this: Dashboard-> Toolset-> Access control-> Post types
find the post type "Event", click save button, and test again.
It will reset the Access settings.

#1235371

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!