Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Performance issues with Toolset maps with many markers

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by timv-7 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

Hi,

I have been using plugins to display pins on a map for a while. Since use Toolset for some other features, I decided to switch to Toolset Maps instead. But if I recreate the setup I have with the old plugin the page becomes very very slow.

Old page: hidden link (build on Maps Marker Pro)
New page: hidden link (build on toolset maps)

The old page loads in about 4 seconds (not great, but acceptable), while the new map loads in about in about 25 seconds which is just not acceptable.

Is there any way how I can speed this up? The amount of markers and content in the pop-ups about the same, so I do not understand why there is such a huge difference.

I am looking forward to hearing your answer.

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To troubleshoot this difference in the page load times, I'll need to see how these pages are set up in the admin area.

Can you please share temporary admin login details, in reply to this message? I'll be in a better position to share some suggestions, accordingly.

Note: Your next reply will be private and it is recommended to make a complete backup copy, before sharing the access details.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar
Supporter

Thank you for sharing the admin access.

The map from the Maps Marker Pro plugin seems to be loading the Open Street Map with some sort of KML or map file, that loads the markers all at once.

The map from the Toolset Maps plugin uses Google Maps API and the map markers are generated by the results coming from the relevant view's query. This means that the more complex the view's query is or the more data the query has to go through, the more time it will need to complete the map and page loading.

In general, the source view "Handlersuche DE" is configured correctly, but here are a few recommendations to further simplify the view's query:

1. From the view's "Content Selection" settings, you can uncheck the option "Don't include the current page in the query result".
( screenshot: hidden link )

2. From the view's "Custom Search" settings, you can disable the option "Show only filter options that would produce results".
( screenshot: hidden link )

3. Whenever possible, use taxonomy-based filtering, over custom fields-based filtering, as it is more efficient/optimized.

4. Whenever possible, use pagination to only show a fixed number of results per page, instead of showing all results.

Similarly, you can include the desired fields and data in the individual map marker pop-up, but, the more data it will show, the more time it will need to be fetched, especially when a large number of results are involved.

Hi,
Thank you for your suggestions. I implemented the first two suggestions as they are very easy. These two changes did not make a significant difference however.

About the the third suggestion, do you really believe that this will severly reduce load time? I believe the load time is mainly due to the number of markers as the custom field based filtering works fine on another page (hidden link)

Your fourth suggestion is not an option for this case, because then only a selection of markers would be displayed at first glance. The goal of the map is for customers to find a POS near to their house. I should not force them to scroll through multiple pages to do this, that would only detract from the customer experience.

I cannot be the only person with this issue right? What do you recommend based on what I try to achieve?

I understand that Toolset works differently than the Maps Marker Pro plugin, but what I am trying to achieve is the same. I believe it would be acceptable if the markers would take a bit longer to load if you would already see the page and map. But when you load the page, it will present a white screen for about 10 - 15 seconds.

At this point, I don't see a way how to switch fully to Toolset Maps, which is a shame.

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

> About the the third suggestion, do you really believe that this will severly reduce load time?

- The suggestions/recommendations shared in my last reply were related to optimization of WordPress/Views query in general and not specifically to Toolset map rendering.

You'll find a number of resources online on the use of taxonomies vs custom fields:
hidden link
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/250838/what-is-better-custom-fields-vs-custom-taxonomies-with-terms-for-perfomance-sc

> I understand that Toolset works differently than the Maps Marker Pro plugin, but what I am trying to achieve is the same. I believe it would be acceptable if the markers would take a bit longer to load if you would already see the page and map. But when you load the page, it will present a white screen for about 10 - 15 seconds.

- This is a structural limitation that the Toolset Map waits for the source view's query to complete first, and then starts showing the map and its markers, according to that query's results.

To show the map and the page first and then lazy load the map markers afterward (like the Maps Marker Pro), major structural changes will need to be implemented in the Toolset Maps plugin. Unfortunately, there are no immediate plans to introduce a change like this, so I'll recommend keeping the Maps Marker Pro plugin if that's the map feature you're after.

Okay, thank you for your honest answers. I still think it is a shame that toolset does not offer a way to manage multiple markers since it's a very powerful tool. I have seen more support topics regarding this, so I definitely think there is a need to improve this.

I will stay with the Maps Marker Pro for now.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.