Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Parent Layout

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 10.26.53 PM.png

Dear Sir/Madam,

I try to create a layout for Header, I need to put the header for every layout. I follow the article https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/hierarchical-layouts/?utm_source=layoutsplugin&utm_campaign=layouts&utm_medium=child-layout-cell&utm_term=help-link but cannot understand the step how I can create the parent layout.

Please advise the step how I can prepare the parent layout and assign it to every layout.

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Dear Kelvin,

Please try this:
1) Edit the parent layout, add a "Child layout Cell",
2) Edit each child layout, click button "Set parent layout", setup above parent layout (step 1)as the parent layout

Dear Luo Yang,

Sorry can't get the step, could you explain in more details?

I have a Layout Header only contain the Logo, banner and menu.

I have a Layout Home, should contain the layout for the front page body and sidebar.

I have a Layout Footer contain the credit information, footer menu.

Please advise which layout I should click the set parent layout while I edit, which layout I should create first?

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Please try this:
1) Create a layout "Parent layout", with below cells:
a) Layout Header only contain the Logo, banner and menu.
b) "Child layout Cell"
c) credit information, footer menu.

2) Edit the "Layout Home", click button "Set parent layout", setup above parent layout (step 1)as the parent layout

Page Layout Template.jpg

Dear Luo Yang,

I am still a bit confused after create the Parent Layout, I created the "Default Layout" containing Header (with Logo, banner, menu), Child Layout Cell and Footer (credit and menu).

I have a Content Template say "Template for Home".

I create a Page 'Home', I leave the body empty, assign the Content Template to "Template for Home", I assign the layout as "Default Layout", I have no idea what the Template in Front-end should be. I already have the "Template for Home" design for it, how can I assign to it? What is the difference between the Content Template on the right hand side compare with the Template in Front-end Display section?

By the way, from the Layout, there is a Slider cell, I plan to have custom Post Type "Banner" to be placed here, how can I replace this slider with my custom banner?

Best regards,

Kelvin

Moreover, I got empty when I visit the Page "Home" even no menu show up.

The layouts will work in entire page, but the content template works only in the post body area, if you assign a layout to the page in section "Template and Layout", it ignore the content template setting in section "Content Template", and render the page with the specific layout.

You can get more help in our documents:
Content Templates – Designing Templates for Displaying WordPress Content
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/view-templates/
And Layouts documents:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/#layouts

If there are new questions, please create different threads for each question, it will help other users to find the answers, thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.