Skip Navigation

[Resolved] "Order by" of wordpress archives stopped working

This support ticket is created 7 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Indian/Mauritius (GMT+04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Arvish Mungur 7 years ago.

Assisted by: Arvish Mungur.

Author

Here's the problem: I am building a woocommerce product archive and when I select the "order by" it either fails to work properly, fails to do anything at all, or causes posts to not display at all.

At first I selected Order By "Field - Start Date" because some of my products are events and I want that category to be sorted by start date. The Events category was displaying in ascending order by start date properly BUT this caused my other product categories to display empty (probably because they have no start date field). So I set a secondary Order By to "Post Date" but that had no effect.

After this test, and reverting back to setting Order By to Menu Order, the sorting stopped working entirely. I tried setting it back to Order By Start date, but it will only display in Descending Order, even when I change it to Ascending. And when it is set to Order By Post Date or by Menu Order, it just displays results in a random order.

Not sure how to fix this. Please advise.

Here is a link to a 3 minute recording I made of the issue.
hidden link

Hello ericG-9,

Thank you for contacting Toolset Support.

I will be happy to help you with your issue.

Having had a look at the video, could you please try separating the Toolset WordPress Archive view for each category. You can add a query filter to limit the view to a specific category.

Example: hidden link

The aim of this exercise is to see if we can eliminate query conflicts.

Awaiting your reply.

Kind regards

This did not solve the issue. The order by function still wont work.
Also, in your screenshot you can see the message

" This filter will not be applied to Taxonomy Archives matching the filtered taxonomies: product_cat"

Which should make it obvious that the filter wont apply to the pages in the video because they are category pages.

Please provide an area to share credentials so someone can take a look at the issue on this.

Hello tomA-4,

Thank you for your reply.

I will be happy to take a closer look to guide you through the correct path.

You will find the needed fields to provide me with temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. hidden link

This info is private and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://toolset.com/toolset-support-policy/privacy-security-providing-debug-information-support/

Note that:
+ Backup (both files and database) your site before giving us your credentials
+ It would be better if you give me the test site rather than the live site.

We'd like to request the permission to disable, enable and install themes and plugins for this site. Please accept this?

Awaiting your reply.

Kind regards

Hello ericG-9,

Thank you for sharing the credentials.

I am looking into the issue and shall get back to you with a viable solution.

In the meantime please feel free to leave a reply should you have any comments or queries.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards

Hello ericG-9,

Thank you for your patience.

Having had a close look at the site, the issue could be related to a known issue by a Toolset Views plugin.

We have released a fixed through a beta version of Views and I would like to install this beta version and check whether it fixes the issue.

If you wish to install this beta version of the plugin yourself, it can be downloaded and installed from your wp-types.com account > downloads page > select "Beta" from the Choose channel drop down to view all beta plugins available.

hidden link

NOTE:
+ Make a backup (both files and database) for your site before updating/proceeding anything (Always a good practice!)

Awaiting your reply.

Kind regards

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.