Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Need some help to get URL structure as /category/post-title

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqar 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

I am struggeling in getting the URL for a new CPT "Projects" to be domain.com/categories/post-title.
It stays at domain.com/custom-post-type/post-title, I can't even get it to /custom-post-type/category/post-title which I managed on another website, except I need to drop custom-post-type from the url here to avoid having to create too many url redirects for existing pages.

- CPT option URL rewrite is checked and uses the normal WP logic
- checked and unchecked "Allow permalinks to be prepended with front base", doesn't make a difference.
- have set permalink to "/%category%/%postname%/", doesn't make a difference. Set it even to "/test/%category%/%postname%/", again, no difference.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

To achieve a permalink structure like this for your custom post type, you'll either have to use a third-party plugin or add custom code for the custom rewrite rule.

Here are some useful resources on the topic:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-type-permalinks/
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/39500/how-to-create-a-permalink-structure-with-custom-taxonomies-and-custom-post-types

regards,
Waqar

would an url like domain.com/custom-post-type/category/post-title work without the extra code/plugin?

Thanks for writing back.

I've performed some testing and research and can confirm that you'll need to include custom code or a third-party plugin to add a category/taxonomy term slug in the URL of the custom post types.

Note: It is possible to set the '/%category%/%postname%/' custom structure through WP Admin -> Settings -> Permalinks, but that is applied only to the regular posts, not the custom post types.

Thank you.
Too bad this is not an option in Toolset, where granular URL control is much needed.

kristofG confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2023-12-04 08:02:07.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.