Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Moving from layouts to Toolset Blocks

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The issue here is that the user wanted to know if we had any formal guide on how to Move from Layouts to Blocks.
Solution:

Unfortunately we do not have a formal guide on Moving from Layouts to Blocks. However we do have documentation on how to use our Blocks plugin at the link below.

https://toolset.com/course-lesson/

This support ticket is created 3 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nickH-5 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author

I have a site which is built using Layouts and I'd like to move it across to Blocks. Is there a guide?

Thanks

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Nick,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We actually do not have a specific guide on how to do this, however you will need to rebuilt your layouts using Content templates using the Gutenburg editor when creating a new content template.

The user interface and creation experience is quite similar to layouts so I don't suspect there will be much issues. The main difference is that the Gutenburg editor will give you a single column which you can then add the Grid block to and create a multi column layout.

If there is a particular issue or concept that you're unsure of please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist.

Thanks,
Shane

Thanks Shane

Two things I'm not sure about.

Using layouts, if I add an edit post link in a view loop I need to send the link to a layout slug within which is the relevant post edit form. How is this achieved without layouts (a view loop with edit links for each post listed)

Also, using layouts, the parent/child layout is useful to replicate the same initial content for a specific post type or types (in my case, an edit link leading to a post edit form and details of the post author displayed to relevant users only). Is there a way to do this with blocks/content templates?

Thanks

Nick.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Nick,

Using layouts, if I add an edit post link in a view loop I need to send the link to a layout slug within which is the relevant post edit form. How is this achieved without layouts (a view loop with edit links for each post listed)

We have a short tutorial on how to do this. However in short all that is needed is to add the edit form to a content template at Toolset->Content templates then re-add the link for the edit form.

https://toolset.com/course-lesson/front-end-forms-for-editing-content/

The tutorial video above demonstrates this at 5:40

Also, using layouts, the parent/child layout is useful to replicate the same initial content for a specific post type or types (in my case, an edit link leading to a post edit form and details of the post author displayed to relevant users only). Is there a way to do this with blocks/content templates?

Parent/child layouts unfortunately no this isn't a part of blocks as this uses the Gutenburg editor to design the templates and there isn't a way to have Parent/Child layouts.

Thanks,
Shane

OK that really helps thanks. I guess I can create a content template for the "parent" elements and include that on all the pages or content templates where I currently have parent/child layouts.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.