Skip Navigation

[Closed] Major issue with New Toolset Views

This support ticket is created 3 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 39 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 3 years ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Good Day,

My site has been working fine until the recent updates. The updates worked fine including the database update, (although the database update took about 30min to complete, I guess because I have a large database with many relationships).

The only major problem I have is that my main Toolset Views reports now take an unreasonable time to load, what used to take seconds now takes way longer then what any normal person would wait for.

This is what I found :

- I found no plugin conflicts

- My post has 3 views on the same page removed 2 of them, no improvement.

- Some views work perfect while others do not.

- Cleaned up the coding, including updating to the newer relationship codes. A slight improvement occurred.

- Why do some Views work fine ? The only difference was that they only display content from the same post type.

- My main Views reports shows 8 fields per post, 5 are from the post type it is searching through, the other 3 fields are from relationships. Removed the relationship fields and WOW it loaded instantly. Added 1 relationship field back and major increase in page load time. Each report only has anywhere from 1 to 50 posts per page, with the average around 20 posts.

So the bottom line is, I need to show these VIEWS reports with relationship fields within a reasonable page load time. Hope you can fix this issue. Thanks

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Jane

I think we should get a copy of your site so that we can test this ourselves, if you could please share a copy via dropbox or similar here: hidden link

Can you give details of which View we should test, and the specific thing we should test? (It's probably easier if you include the problem related fields, indicating which they are, and we can remove them and compare the difference.)

I tried using that free plugin but the file size is to large .... over the min 500mb limit.

Nigel
Supporter

Can you use All in One WP Migration instead?

Be sure to exclude the media library when creating the package.

I have the package for you.... now how do I send it to you or give you private access ?

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Your next reply will be private to let you share download links or credentials safely. ** Make a database backup before sharing credentials. **

Please, provide more details about the view. What view? What are the relationship fields so I can check with and without them?
Is there any custom code used? Where is it located?

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Thank you for sharing the credentials. I took the copy and I'll analyze it locally and get back to you.

What Changes did you make or add ??????

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jane

I've installed the copy of your site locally which Jamal took to look into this further.

With a basic version of your site (non-essential plugins disabled), I can see when loading a Men's Event post which then, amongst other things, loads the results View (id 1320) that it takes roughly 15s to generate the HTML document itself, which points to a problem with the underlying queries. (I installed the Query Monitor plugin and see 527 queries on that page, when a little over 100 would be expected.)

I'm discussing with the developers. They already have a couple of examples of something similar, but I'll make the copy of this site available to them if needed.

Can I ask one thing. Do you have a backup of the website from before the migration that you could make available, to use as a benchmark to compare the updated version against?

New Setting.png
Previous Setting.png

Hi Nigel,

In answer to your question, yes I do have a copy, a lot has changed since then. The copy I have is not an all-in-one backup, but just a data base backup from my host.

Also I have almost resolved the problem.

Almost all my pages have had an increase in load time, as they have multiple views with relationships on them. All can be fixed with a minor adjustment in the views settings. The problem is with the relationships setting.

What worked before:

Query Filter - Filter by post relationship or repeatable fields group owner - in any relationship

What works now:

Change the "in Any relationship" to the exact relationship
for example in view id (1320) it would be mens-event_mens-results

Although in id 1320 (and the other 3 samples) this change does not work for some reason.

This change works fine on all other views on my site. This change must be made on all views on the page, if you miss one the load time shifts to the one you missed. With this change, some have gone from 20 down to 2.

It looks like there was a change to the multiple relationships vs a single relationship, that has increased the load time.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain.

Nigel
Supporter

Yes, I understand, and actually on my local copy of your site I had updated the View 1320 to specify the relationship as I had spotted the "use any relationship" setting and wondered if choosing the specific relationship wouldn't be more performant, but in that case it didn't appear to make any difference.

Sounds like you saw the same, and discovered that the same change must be made for all Views on the page.

I'll share that with the developers, and if they feel they need the earlier backup I'll come back to you.

For now I'll leave this as escalated.

Any progress on improving the render time when you add a field that is related to the post in a views loop ?

Nigel
Supporter

The developers have done quite a bit of work on this in this dev cycle and right now we're performing extensive testing, including on our own sites. All being well we may have the updates available next week, although it is a little tight as we don't release towards the end of the week.

I'll alert you when it's out.

Nigel
Supporter

Hi Jane

The plugin releases are available, if you want to update and re-test.

If you don't see the update notices in the plugins page, from the custom Toolset installer page (click the registered links) you can use the Check for updates button to bring them up.

Or download the latest versions from toolset.com/account/downloads

Let me know how you get on.

I have been testing for the last 4 days since it came out BUT I see no improvement at all.
This is a major problem for my site.

The problem still remains that as soon as you add a relationship field in a view loop the render time increases dramatically for each relationship field added.

If you have just one its not bad but the more you add the worse it gets, and I require a minimum of 3 relationship fields in a views loop.

with no Relationship fields its about 1 sec
with 1 relationship field its about 3 to 5 sec
with 3 relationship fields in it jumps to around 8 to 10sec
this all varies depending on how many items found

Another thing I notice:
My page has 3 views (all similar in nature). If I make a page with just 1 view its at a high render time. If I have a page with 3 views the first view is at a high time BUT the other two are much better.

The topic ‘[Closed] Major issue with New Toolset Views’ is closed to new replies.