Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Live Site changed from Staging Site

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

Overwrite my live site with the staging site I created (with my host SiteGround), An extra spacing issue throughout the live site after overwriting it from the staging site.

Solution:

If you are going to duplicate the same website data, please follow our document to migrate your website:

Relevant Documentation:

https://toolset.com/faq/how-do-i-migrate-a-wordpress-site-from-one-domain-to-the-other/

0% of people find this useful.

This support ticket is created 2 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by smileBeda 2 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
Staging Site Page.JPG
Staging Site Code.JPG
Live Site Page.JPG
Live Site Code.JPG

I am trying to: Overwrite my live site with the staging site I created (with my host SiteGround).

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Comparing two pages from my staging site and live site.

I expected to see: Identical pages

Instead, I got: An extra spacing issue throughout the live site after overwriting it from the staging site.

I am uploading images of the same page to show the spacing differences. I am also uploading two snippets of code that should be the same, but as you can see, something got changed when overwriting the staging site onto the live site. This change appears in every custom post type and view that I've created with Toolset.

Hello,

How do you override the live site with the staging site?
If you are going to duplicate the same website data, please follow our document to migrate your website:
https://toolset.com/faq/how-do-i-migrate-a-wordpress-site-from-one-domain-to-the-other/

It is an automatic process through my hose SiteGround. They automatically create the staging site, and then I select a button to do a "full overwrite"

There might be some problems when you do the "full overwrite", as I mentioned above, please try to follow our document to migrate your website:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/live-site-changed-from-staging-site/#post-2081123

If the problem is fixed, then you will need to check it with the host SiteGround.

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

I just wanted to leave a word here, since I have been helping Sean with this issue and it turned out to not be a migration issue at all.
In fact, after migration the 2 sites look the exact same, as expected.

The issue instead appeared as soon Toolset Blocks was updated. I have also shared this problem in the FB Group of Toolset Users and we are not the only one with this kind of issue on the plate.

It has been a problem since a while now with Toolset blocks.
"You" keep changing paddings and margins back and forth, specially when it comes to Paragraphs and Grids.

I have also reported a similar issue in past, which was as well dismissed as "expected"/"user error", and since your chat system doesn't allow anymore to link to the actual thread (I think it was with Shane back in time I opened a ticket for it), I can't link back to it. However it seems, according what I see here, that the exact issue I reported back then, discarded as "expected/user error" now has been "fixed" anyway and thus the issue.

This time I have more tangible material that shows how the old site does overwrite Theme Paragraph margins, and displays Toolset Grids without big space around the text.
As soon you update the site to Blocks (last version), then the theme styles suddenly do not get overwritten anymore (and thus start applying, and thus you end up with spaces around the text where before you did have none) and on the other hand, Grids start to get a huge "padding" around them that are nowhere defined in the CSS (there is literally no CSS padding or margin rule, it just seems that for some reason, Blocks decided "now we like more whitespace, so lets add some whitespace everywhere"

While the first issue looks pretty much like you _fixed_ a BUG that before was stopping theme styles from properly applying, the second looks like a BUG that was _introduced_.

I am not sure you can see this post still in your mails, but if you do, I would suggest you have a closer look at this, because it is not the Users's wrongdoing or a migration processs gone wrong. It is the update of Blocks that made this happen, and as stated, we are not the only ones seeing this issue (repeatedly, over the past 2 years, this was the main core pain point of Blocks: It changes styles whenever it likes, be it because bugs are fixed or new bugs introduced, is not clear).

Cheers!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.