Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Is it best practice to use custom post types for all posts, including "posts"

This support ticket is created 2 years, 8 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by aaronM-9 2 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

What custom post type features do you "miss out on" by using the WordPress standard post type "posts"? I'm trying to decide if I should create a custom post type for our regular posts. Thanks.

- Aaron

Hello, I cannot think of anything significant that requires a custom post type instead of the native Post post type. You can use Toolset's post relationships features with Posts and Pages, you can create custom fields and custom taxonomies for Posts and Pages, you can create Archives, Views, Forms, and Content Templates for native Posts and Pages, you can use Toolset Access controls with native Posts and Pages...I could go on and on about similarities, but I can't think of many differences. Is there anything specific you feel is missing in Posts and Pages that you could only accomplish in a custom post type?

No, nothing in particular. I just seem to recall having read something at some point over the years that you can't do with native post types that custom post types lets you do, but I couldn't remember what it was. If you're saying all of the features work on native posts - custom fields, related posts, custom taxonomies, etc. - then I think I'm good to go. Thanks.

- Aaron

Yes I think you'll find all the major Toolset features you need are available for native post types and native taxonomies. If there are any such limitations, they are so uncommon that I cannot think of them offhand. Of course, if you run into such a limitation, feel free to reach out to support to find out if a workaround is possible.

There are some limitations for WordPress Users, maybe this is something you had heard in the past. The two main limitations are:
- you cannot create custom search Views (parametric search) for User profiles
- you cannot use Toolset's post relationships to link Users and posts
A proxy post type workaround exists for these limitations, and is described in the documentation here:
https://toolset.com/course-lesson/how-to-create-custom-searches-and-relationships-for-users/

Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.