Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Integration with Genesis + Working with Preview

This support ticket is created 3 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nickK-8 3 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Hi - the first thing I was hoping to use Toolset for was to create a static Homepage alternative to my existing Genesis Homepage with loop. I've read back through the forum posts that indicate historical issues with Toolset Layout and Genesis, but they're all a few years old, so I was wondering if I'm missing something in making this work a little more smoothly.

Working in the Block Editor I can get some Views to display as expected, but when trying to preview or even testing it as published, the page shows just as blank.

I've thought about ditching my entire theme and Genesis in favour of one playing better with Toolset, but the page I'm trying to create seems like it should be relatively simple and that seems fairly extreme as a solution, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something basic to get me on my way.

I'd really appreciate any pointers you can provide.

Thanks!

Hi, generally speaking I would avoid using the Toolset Layouts plugin when you also want to use the Block Editor for designing your site. You can do just about everything Layouts offers with the Block Editor and Content Templates, and using both together isn't advised for new projects that don't already involve existing Layouts. If you're having problems where pages appear completely blank, check to see if a Toolset Content Template is applied to those posts/pages. That's usually where I find new Users have trouble, they create a Content Template and assign it to some post type without actually putting anything in the template. The blank template overrides whatever content was designed in the post itself, the post seems blank when displayed on the front-end, it seems like the whole system is broken, and frustration follows.

When you see a blank page like you described, edit the post. If the Block Editor interface is shown, do not select anything yet in the editor. Look in the right column for the Document tab and check the Content Template configurations there. Skip the next sentence about the classic editor. If the classic editor is shown instead of the Block Editor, find the Content Template panel in the right column. If a template is selected in the template configurations, choose no template, or edit the selected template include whatever you want to display on the front-end of the site. When editing the Content Template, you can display the designed post contents using the Post Content block or shortcode from the Fields and Views popup. Let me know if you have trouble with that part.

If the assigned template is not the problem, I'll be glad to take a closer look. You can also just temporarily switch to a default theme like Twenty Twenty to see if the problem is resolved. Switching between themes temporarily should not break anything, though you may need to readjust WooCommerce Views settings if you are using that plugin to design WooCommerce Product or Shop templates.

Thanks Christian! Yep, disabling the Layout plugin seems to have resolved that problem! On to the next one!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.