Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Import repeatable image field

This support ticket is created 3 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 - - 9:00 – 13:00
14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 - - 14:00 – 18:00

Supporter timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by dieterM 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Jamal.

Author

I have a project where I need to create a custom post type with a repeating image field.
Then I need to import a whole lot of these images.

I looked at two options, based on this topic:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/export-import/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/

Option 1: WP All Import
Unfortunately, the Toolset Types Add-On plugin (still in beta) doesn't support repeating fields yet. Toolset documentation states 'not yet, coming soon' for this feature since November 2018. I asked WP All Import support about this feature, they could not give a timeframe. I guess development of this add-on isn't on their schedule yet. You might want to change the somewhat misleading 'coming soon' in your documentation, or maybe give them an extra push get it higher on their priority list :).

Option 2: WordPress Ultimate CSV Importer
This plugin does support repeating fields, however I could not get it to import images into repeating fields.
They have demo environment with Toolset installed, which you might want to try:
hidden link

Note that the import needs to be done a regular basis. Both WP All Import and WordPress Ultimate CSV Importer support options for scheduled imports.

Any other ideas?

I did manage to import images into repeating fields with WordPress Ultimate CSV Importer after all. I must have done something wrong in my test. I contacted Smackcoders support too, who came up with a solution.

I leave this question open for your reaction on the WP All Import issue.

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello and thank you for contacting the Toolset support.

WP All Import does not support repeating fields yet. I'm sorry, we, supporter won't be able to push the development anyway, neither to our developers nor to the team behind WP All Import.

As you can see in our article about supported fields for import, only WordPress Ultimate CSV Importer supports repeating fields.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/export-import/how-to-import-content-into-wordpress-using-csv/

According to this ticket, the user seems to have been able to import images into repeatable fields with WP All Import, but, It is not supported as per our documentation.
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/import-urls-in-a-repeatable-field-with-toolset-beta-addon/

WordPress Ultimate CSV Importer documentation states that repeating fields should be separated by "|" hidden link

You can put image URLs in the same column separated by (|) and it should work. If it does not, please provide a simple test data and record a short video of your import process, so we can follow the same exact steps while debugging it. I usually use Loom or Screencastify for screencasts.

Thanks for the reply!

I understand you cannot push development of WP All Import. My advice would be to remove the 'coming soon' from your documentation, as this is somewhat misleading (it's been 'coming soon' since 2018). I actually purchased WP All Import thinking this feature would be implemented 'soon'. They kindly offered me a full refund however since they were unable to give a timeline for this feature, so I guess it won't be 'soon'.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.