Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Impact in using same plural and singular name in Post Type

This support ticket is created 7 years, 11 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shane 7 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Shane.

Author
Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 8.42.44 PM.png

Dear Sir/Madam,

When I create a post type, I need to provide the name in plural and singular form, refer to the screenshot, the plural and singular are 'social media', if I enable Ignore this warning, what is the impact to the setting, is there any problem when calling php api ?

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for contacting our support forum.

The reason for this is for pure cosmetics and consistency. Lets use a simple example where I create a custom post type called Cars.

Example 1 using same name for both plural and singular.
Singular = Car
Plural = Car

On the archive page that list the all the Cars the title would be "Archive List: Car"

On the edit list page on the backend you will see "Car" and to view all the cars on the backend you will see "All Car"

Example 2 using singular and plural.
Singular = Car
Plural = Cars

On the archive page that list the all the Cars the title would be "Archive List: Cars"

On the edit list page on the backend you will see "Cars" and to view all the cars on the backend you will see "All Cars"

Notice the difference is that where ever more than 1 Cars will be displayed the plural name will be used. Whenever there is only 1 car to display then the single name will be used.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

Dear Shane,

From you explanation, can I understand that it is only for wording display issue but won't affect the system data query.

In my case, as Media in spelt as plural and singular, if it doesn't affect the system data query, then I can ignore the message, am I right?

Best regards,

Kelvin.

Shane
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Jamaica (GMT-05:00)

Hi Kelvin,

Right no queries should be affected because the Singular and Plural names are just for cosmetics and for display consistency.

Please let me know if this helps.
Thanks,
Shane

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.