Skip Navigation

[Resolved] I would like to make an edit post page

This support ticket is created 4 years, 4 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christian Cox 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 21.41.30.png

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I would like to create a page within my website for editing posts. I've found the following instructions, but no where do I see how to set up a separate page for editing.

"Using the forms for editing existing posts requires a bit different workflow:

Create a form that edits posts (using this very wizard).
Create an “editing-mode” template and insert the form into it.
Link to this template to allow editing the selected content using the form.
To learn how to do this, read the documentation on displaying Toolset Editing Forms."

So far I created a form, create a content template and dropped the shortcode for the form in. However, when i click the edit video link I have created, it takes me to the post but blank.

Is it possible to make a page the edit page? I'd like to have a few edit forms (different parts of one post) on one page, that people can edit parts and save them individually.

Please can you help

So far I created a form, create a content template and dropped the shortcode for the form in. However, when i click the edit video link I have created, it takes me to the post but blank.
Hi, I can't see your debug information so I can't tell...does your site use the Toolset Layouts plugin? If so, then the process is a bit different because you must use a Template Layout instead of a Content Template: https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/publish-content-from-the-front-end/building-forms-for-editing-when-using-layouts/

If your site doesn't use the Toolset Layouts plugin, then the "Edit Video" link should redirect you to the same post URL with the Content Template ID added at the end of the URL as a parameter. For example, if the Video post URL is https://yoursite.com/video/my-video-1234/ then when you click "Edit Video" you should be redirected to https://yoursite.com/video/my-video-1234?content-template-id=7890 , where 7890 represents the Content Template ID. If this results in a blank page for you, then I need to take a closer look.

Is it possible to make a page the edit page?
It is possible to create a View filtered by post ID, containing an edit post Form in the loop, and placed in a custom Page somewhere else on the site. There are some limitations to this setup, including issues with AJAX form submissions. In general it's not the recommended approach.

Christian,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I'm using the latter option, without toolset layouts. The video post URL aspect isn't ideal, we want a separate edit page. Would the Layouts plugin allow for that?

Thanks
Kyle

No, the Layouts option behaves similarly in terms of the URL and front-end workflow.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.