Skip Navigation

[Resolved] I can’t get the map displayed to put a marker where the address is.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I created a map and a marker but the marker does not appear on the map as expected.

Solution: This is an API key issue. If Google Maps API key is restricted by domain, that may not work for users with multiple domains or subdomains. To solve this, you can enter a second API key for Google Maps, in the Toolset settings.

When added, this second key is used exclusively for server-side requests. This means it is never exposed in HTML and does not need restrictions.

If you want extra security, you can restrict it, but only by IP addresses, not by domains.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/display-on-google-maps/creating-a-google-maps-api-key/

This support ticket is created 5 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.41 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by mindyB 5 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

Create a content template for Farmers Market - I list the address, but it doesn't show in the map.

Folliwng: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/display-on-google-maps/displaying-markers-on-google-maps/

Is there a similar example that we can see?

Here is the code:

Map (Not working)[wpv-map-render map_id="map-5"][/wpv-map-render][wpv-map-marker map_id='map-5' marker_id='marker-13' marker_title="Name: [wpv-post-title]" marker_field='wpcf-address'] Visit: [wpv-post-url]  [/wpv-map-marker]

What is the link to your site? hidden link

Hi, I assume this is an address custom field created in Toolset Types, correct? If so, is the address mapped correctly in wp-admin? Please go to Toolset > Settings > Maps and click the "Check API" button. Paste the result in your next reply. Then scroll down and click "Load cached data" and find the entry or entries that correspond to this address on Sunrise Hwy. Delete that cached entry and try to load the map again.

I think it has more to do with the visual editor and not wanting to customize code
I then went to Toolset Blocks and found how to adjust dynamic markers related to the map
Then I wrote another support ticket to ask about differences, pros and cons for using Toolset Blocks or WPBakery.
Until that gets resolved, I don't know if the API etc (mentioned above is the issue)

Thanks, Mindy

Regardless of whether you choose to use Toolset blocks or write shortcodes, the API must be configured correctly for markers to appear on the map. So if you're seeing any error messages when you check the API, those must be resolved. I'll stand by for your update.

I had set on the API - restrictions as recommended by Google. This is the alert message I received when I removed restrictions (I can see the map and marker now):

"This API key is unrestricted. To prevent unauthorized use and quota theft, restrict your key to limit how it can be used."

What do you suggest about preventing unauthorized use and quota theft?

thanks, Mindy

If Google Maps API key is restricted by domain, that may not work for users with multiple domains or subdomains. To solve this, you can enter a second API key for Google Maps, in the Toolset settings.

When added, this second key is used exclusively for server-side requests. This means it is never exposed in HTML and does not need restrictions.

If you want extra security, you can restrict it, but only by IP addresses, not by domains.

https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/display-on-google-maps/creating-a-google-maps-api-key/

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.