Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to add post meta when inserting posts with wp_insert_post

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Client wants to add post meta at the same time as inserting posts with the function wp_insert_post.

Solution:
Add the post meta fields as an array using the meta_input parameter.

Relevant Documentation:
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_insert_post/#parameters

This support ticket is created 6 years, 1 month ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by mohammadD 6 years, 1 month ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hi there!

i'm writing a plugin that inserts posts using wordpress wp_insert_post($args) function
as you know there should be a "post_meta" key in the $args array

a have a post type with a costume field group,
i can handle the insertion process, using a wpcf- prefix before field name, and all type of fields works fine except the date-type field.
for example i have a date format like this: "7/8/2017"
i can convert that to time stamp using php DateTime class,
well, how can i assign this timestamp to 'wpcf-myfield' key of post_meta array ?

'wpcf-myfield' => $timeStamp
or
'wpcf-myfield' => $orginalForm

don't in use

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi there

If you want to add post meta directly using wp_insert_post you add the post meta fields as an array using the meta_input parameter (https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_insert_post/#parameters).

A Types date field is stored as a timestamp, and you can convert dates from a string format to a timestamp using the PHP strtotime function: hidden link

I think that is the part you are missing.

merC

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.