Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to make theme read only for client

This support ticket is created 7 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 7 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author

I have built a theme using toolset. I want to put this theme onto my clients site but I don't want them to have all the options to edit it themselves.

The way I thought to do this is using embedded theme but now I am being told by your supporters not to use this and on top of this I have been making support requests for a couple of weeks trying to get it to work and it seems that it just does not work.

I keep getting told to wait until january but I just noticed that in january there will be an additional charge of $899 for your new system.

I bought this plugin to make themes for my clients, I don't want to release themes to the general public. I just want to make the site theme read only for my client.

Right now I am feeling extremely let down and angry at all the wasted time toolset has caused me. It looks like I will have to completely re-do my theme outside of toolset in order to provide it in a professional manner.

Is there a way I can just simple put my theme onto a clients site and put it into a read only mode so they dont get all the option links to edit views and such? Is it possible to achieve this with permissions?

Dear Mike,

I have answered the questions of your another thread:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-update-a-site-using-embedded-toolset/#post-467735

Yes, the best way is wait for the toolset-based-themes, currently you can hide the Toolset menu in dashboard, see similar thread:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/hide-menu-item-for-most-users/

No, the best way is not to wait for that as you are going to charge $899 for the facility. I bought your plugin with an advertised mode to make client sites read only. You can't take that away and ask me for more money, that is extremely dishonest.

If there is no way to make theme read only without paying an additional fee I will be dropping toolset all together and let others know about your unscrupulous business practice.

Removing the menu is not a solution as all the posts still have links and options to go in and edit views and layouts.

I honestly find it hard to believe just how dishonest your company is being. You are essentially holding peoples sites ransom and forcing them to pay your fee and if they don't then you will get the fee from the client anyway. Feels like extortion.

As I mentioned in your thread:
https://toolset.com/forums/topic/how-do-i-update-a-site-using-embedded-toolset/#post-467735
we will offer an upgrading to your client's accounts:
We can upgrade the accounts of these clients to the new Author accounts for free, that means there is no additional fee to you.

Also we will provide a workaround, using Access to limit what end-users can do with Toolset.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.