Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to make the results show up faster?

This support ticket is created 4 years, 5 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by FelipeP5703 4 years, 4 months ago.

Assisted by: Waqar.

Author

My customers are complaining that the site takes too long to load and the results as well. PageSpeed Insights is giving my site a 4 out of 100. WebpageTest is giving 3 Fs on First Byte time, Compress Image, and Cache static content.

I'm currently compacting all the images using plugin Smush. Once I'm done compressing, I'll see if there is any improvement.

I do have about 250 custom posts, which include 7 images per custom post. So I believe with the compression of the images, it should move faster.

But what about the query results? How can I make it faster?

My site is hidden link and the two pages that are most visited are hidden link and hidden link

I appreciate any insight to make it go faster!

Thank you
P.S. - all plugins and themes are up to date and I'm also using Cloudflare

Waqar
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi Felipe,

Thank you for contacting us and I'd be happy to assist.

If you'll check your website's page(s) through speed/performance testing tools like Pingdom ( hidden link ), Google's page speed insights ( hidden link ) and GTmetrix ( hidden link ), you'll find the common issues related to two main points:

1. Server's response time

2. how static content is delivered

This means that the query results are not the concern here and focus should be on these two points.

For the server and DNS response time reports, I'll recommend consulting your hosting provider to explore how that can be improved.
( you'll see considerable wait time, in all these reports where the browser is simply waiting for response/data from the server )

For the second point related to static content's delivery and leveraging browser's cache, you'll need a good cache and code optimization plugin, which can add expire headers to static resources ( like images, CSS and script files etc ).

Your website seems to be using Autoptimize plugin for code minification and aggregation, but you might need a different plugin that can offer more optimizations that are reported missing in the above-mentioned tools.

The following article reviews some of the popular options:
hidden link

I hope this helps.

regards,
Waqar

Waqar,

Thank you for the article. I have read it and will try to implement your suggestions. But let me ask you this, let's say you let this page (www.destackterapias.com/terapeutas) load, then when you click on "bairros" to change the filter, it takes a while for it to filter out, isn't that Toolset's query being slow?

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for writing back.

When the search results are updated through AJAX (i.e. without reloading the page), the request is sent to the server and the content is reloaded/updated similar to what happens on the page reload. The only difference is that the entire page isn't reloaded.

If the server is taking more time to respond to fulfill requests, you'll experience the same while updating the results through the AJAX.

If you'll check the AJAX call's timeline audit on your page, you'll see the involved waiting time.
( screenshot: hidden link )

Overall, personally I don't feel the results or page loading is slow on that page considering the amount of the results and filters present. But if you'll still like to improve that, you can work on the suggestions from the tools from my last message.

The major concern of the user reports should automatically improve with optimized images, as the large-sized images can significantly increase the page's loading time. Also, it should also get better after implementing cache policies as that will make the browser hold the static content (like images, CSS & JS files etc) in its cache, instead of loading them fresh from the server each time.

Thanks Waqar,

I will try to implement your suggestions and let you know what happens. Thanks!

Waqar
Supporter

Sure, let me know how it goes.

You're welcome to open a new ticket for a different question or concern.

speed_test.jpg

I ended up buying WP Rocket because they were having a nice Black Friday discount. I removed all the other plugins that were suppose to help, which didn't, now the results have improved significantly!

I'm still working on the images with Imagify, but I noticed that the Fully Loaded Time is still pretty high. Checking out in detail from Waterfall, I noticed that the Views I have on the page is slowing down the site. (See screenshot)

Again I'm not sure if there is something you guys can about that. I will still have to contact my server provider to see if they can help.

Waqar
Supporter

Thanks for the update and it is considered a good approach to use a single optimization plugin that offers multiple features, rather using multiple plugins, which can result in conflicts.

The screenshot that you shared shows the total time taken by the server to respond and complete an AJAX request, but we don't know how much of that time was taken by the query itself.

Like I mentioned before, considering the amount of the data (result items) and the query filters, I don't find the page speed to be unusually slow.

While adding page speed optimizations, it is important to remember that the page's loading time will increase with the amount of overall content that it will need to load and render, along with the database operations that will be needed in the background. This principle will remain the same regardless of the website builder, theme or plugins that will be used on the website.

A simpler HTML static text page will always be faster than a static HTML page with images.

Likewise, a static HTML page with images will always be faster than a dynamic page which creates the content from the database.

Here is a practical test. You can create a new view similar to the one on the page hidden link but don't include the images and query/search filters and note the page's loading time.

Next, gradually start adding elements like images, query/search filters and then check the page's loading time again. Also, test the page with and without the "Show only available options for each input" option.
( example: hidden link )

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for all your info Waqar. I was able to speed up my site by doing what you advised. My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.