Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to give Editor Role more admin permissions

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I would like to give my client more permissions than the standard editor role, but fewer permissions than the standard admin role

Solution: Create a new custom user role based on the Administrator role. Click "Change permissions" and remove any permissions you do not want your client to have. Save the role, test it with a new temporary user, and then once you have confirmed it works as expected you can assign your client to this new role.

Relevant Documentation: https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/managing-wordpress-admin-capabilities-access/

This support ticket is created 7 years ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 8:00 – 12:00 - -
13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 - -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by JeanJ2365 7 years ago.

Assisted by: Christian Cox.

Author

I am trying to:

Limit the admin permissions my client has, after I hand the site off.

But, my client needs more capabilities than the normal WP Editor role.

My client will need access to the USERS (to change, update, create new, etc). Gravity Forms, Google Analytics, and even to create custom VIEWS - so access to Toolset.

Basically, I do not want my client to have access to the theme, file editor, or ability to add new plugins.

I visited this URL: NA

I expected to see: NA

How do I do this? I am using Access. This is a membership site.

I have found some 'User Role" plugins - for the ADMIN permissions. But do not want to install in case this is a conflict with Access - or I can use access to achieve my goal.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 4.03.10 PM.png

Hi, you can definitely accomplish this with Access without needing additional 3rd party tools. Here's how I would handle it.
- Create a new Custom Role, based on Administrator. Call it something you'll understand, like "Client Admin"
- Base this new role on permissions from the Administrator role, since you want this user to have most of those permissions
- In the Custom Roles list, hover over your new role and click "Change Permissions" (see screenshot)
- Uncheck the permissions you do not want your client admin to have. Here are a few you might consider:
-- activate_plugins
-- switch_themes
-- update_plugins
-- update_themes
-- install_plugins
-- install_themes
-- delete_themes
-- delete_plugins
-- edit_plugins
-- edit_themes

Feel free to scan the list and other tabs for permissions you want to restrict. Save your new user role. I would want to test this out first, so I would create a new user account and assign it to the new role. Log out, then log in as that test user and confirm the permissions are doing what you expect.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood what you're trying to accomplish or if you need more specific information - I'll be glad to take another look.

Thank you so much!!

Hi Christian, I did create the new user role.

And I did give them access to the USERS - to edit, change roles, etc.
Because they need this.

But is there any way to block them from changing their role?
And mine? I will still be the admin.

Thanks and sorry for replying before I finshed this.

Jean

No, unfortunately this wouldn't be possible for a role that inherits from Administrator. Instead, you would have to create your custom role based on Editor and allow additional permissions as needed.

Thanks again.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.