Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to design Archives for Custom Taxonomy Terms?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How to create a custom archive for taxonomy terms?

Solution:
There is no such archive in WordPress. Taxonomy archives are archives of *posts* with matching taxonomy terms (set by the URL).

You can use Views to create a list of taxonomy terms that you insert on some page.

See below for a fuller discussion.

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/customize-post-archives/

This support ticket is created 5 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by anandG-3 5 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

Hello. I am able to find how to design custom archive for post types, but am not able to locate where I can create the layout and design for taxonomy terms. I am searching for it in this link. https://toolset.com/documentation/getting-started-with-toolset/customize-post-archives/

It will be really helpful if you could guide me.

Thank You.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 13.57.24.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 13.39.10.png

Hi there

The WordPress concept of "taxonomy archives" can cause some confusion, because they do not display taxonomy terms, rather, they display posts which match the term specified in the URL.

e.g. site.com/priority/critical/ will display posts with the term 'critical' of the 'priority' taxonomy.

If that is what you mean by taxonomy archive, great, then you simply need to go to Toolset > WordPress Archives and you will see the archives you can customise—as shown in the screenshot—which includes taxonomy archives in the right column.

If you are using Layouts, you would instead create a new Layout and assign that template to the archive in question, as shown in the second screenshot.

If by taxonomy archive you mean something else, namely, showing the list of terms that belong to a taxonomy, then there is no such thing in WordPress. You can, however, create a taxonomy View to display such terms, and then you would insert that View onto a static page.

Thank You Nigel. It worked. Your help is always valuable.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.