Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How to Create a View of Posts of a Single Category

This support ticket is created 5 years, 6 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Nigel 5 years, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author

I would like to create a view of posts of a particular category. When I click on the '?' beside the Query Filter option, it says

"You can filter the View query by status, custom fields, taxonomy, users fields and even text search depending on the content that you are going to load. Click on 'Add a filter' and then select the filter type. A View may have as many filters as you like."

According to this, I should be able to filter my posts by category, but when I add a new filter there is no option in the list that says anything about category or taxonomy.

The only Post Filters I see are:
Post relationship or repeatable field groups owner
Post author
Post date
Post id
Post parent
Post search
Post status
Post stickiness

Even if I select the relationship option (which seems closest to what I want), the resulting filter makes no mention of category or any other taxonomy.

How do I create a view of posts filtered by a specific category???????

David McLeod

I found two things of interest:
1. When I create the view of posts as a slider, then I get the category option in the filter. I'm not sure why it doesn't show up when I select the Display all results option.
2. I found your help page https://toolset.com/2015/07/how-to-group-posts-by-category/. This seems to be a general answer to my original question--although, in my case I can solve my problem using the slider approach as mentioned in 1. above.

This leads to my NEW question:
When I'm in the loop editor, is there a way to get the featured image to display with an embedded link to the post? I want the user to be able to get to the main post, but I don't want to have to display the Post Title, since this includes a lot of metadata that I don't want to display in the slider.

Thanks,

David McLeod

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi David

Before going any further, let's review your original question.

When you create a View you should be able to add a Query Filter to filter by category irrespective of the kind of View you are creating (note that the different "types" of View you can choose simple show/hide certain parts of the UI, and you can change this at any time using the Screen Options tab at the very top of the page).

So when you create a View to display posts, you should see the Query Filter section (use the Screen Options tab to expose it if you cannot), and clicking the button to Add a filter will produce a dropdown for the kind of filter to add, where you should be able to see categories (see my screenshot).

When you select that you will then be able to choose which category (manually specifying one, or indicating where the value should come from).

Can you confirm you see the same?

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.