Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How do I validate fields in admin?

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
How can I validate the input in Types Fields, in the WP Backend?

Solution:
The only options natively added by Toolset are the validation options you can see in Toolset > Post Fields > your_post_field_group > edit > your_field > edit > Validation

For a number field as example this can be:
- Required (can not be empty)
- Number (must be a number)

Relevant Documentation:
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/using-custom-fields/

This support ticket is created 7 years, 10 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00 14:00 – 20:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by mikes-23 7 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Beda.

Author

I have create a "product review" custom type. On that type I have added a numerical field called "rating". I want to ensure that when creating this post type this value is between 0-5. Is there any way I can validate for this using toolset? Also can I add a slider control?

Is this possible in toolset or do I have to write a separate plugin to validate the admin fields?

Validation can be done in two ways, using Toolset.

1. In the backend, the only options natively added by Toolset are the validation options you can see in Toolset > Post Fields > your_post_field_group > edit > your_field > edit > Validation

For a number field as example this can be:
- Required (can not be empty)
- Number (must be a number)

A minimum or maximum value can not be set here.
A possibility is to use Description an Place holders to inform the user about it.

2. With CRED, you can have better control, using the API.
https://toolset.com/documentation/user-guides/cred-api/#cfv

With that API filter you can validate any Field submitted via CRED in any way you like, using PHP to validate the content of the Fields.

Thanks for the reply.

Can cred do admin pages? I looked at the docs and I could only see instructions for front end forms.

No, CRED is intended only for the Front end.

Only a few features, like a notification when a certain Checbox is set, or Post Status changes to [...], would also trigger on the backend.

For backend solutions you should hook into save_post() and use a Custom PHP function.
https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Action_Reference/save_post

OK, I will handle validation with my code.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a Toolset client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.