Skip Navigation

[Resolved] How do display term fields on archive page for a custom taxonomy?

This support ticket is created 7 years, 7 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on Toolset forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 7:00 – 14:00 -
- 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 15:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by cantonB 7 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Nigel.

Author
teachers.jpg

I created a custom taxonomy called "Teacher". This way when we write a blog post, we can specify the teacher(s) related to that blog post.

I also created a term fields group for "teacher" so that each teacher can have a nice WYSIWYG biography, URL, and a portrait image.

How do I get my biography and URL portrait image to show up on the archive page for the teacher, for example:

hidden link

I'd also like to customize the archive page even further, e.g. instead of just listing all related posts by date, separate out the posts by category e.g. "News from this teacher" vs. "Podcasts by this teacher".

I'm just unclear on how to manipulate a (content template? wordpress archive?) so that I can customize the archive view.

Thanks for any tips.

Nigel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/London (GMT+01:00)

Hi Canton

You have created a Teacher taxonomy and added custom fields for that taxonomy so that each of your taxonomy terms (a teacher) has additional term meta available (portrait, website, biography).

You output those term meta using the wpv-taxonomy-field shortcode (https://toolset.com/documentation/views-shortcodes/#wpv-taxonomy-field). Note that when referring to Types fields using Views shortcodes (or from anything other than Types itself) you need to prepend the prefix "wpcf-" to the field slug, e.g. a Types field of "portrait" is stored in the database as "wpcf-portrait".

You can customise the taxonomy archive by creating and assigning a custom WordPress archive at Toolset > WordPress Archives.

The header, footer, sidebar etc. will come from your theme, but you can customise the content area by editing the Loop Output section of the archive.

If you are using Layouts you can take control of the whole page design and add an archive cell for the taxonomy archive itself.

Let me know if you get stuck with any particular step.

Thanks. I tried what you suggested and it worked great.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.