Skip Navigation

[Resolved] Front end filter not working as expected

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

In a post view, with a taxonomy filter in custom search form:
If I don't check any checkbox, Views will output all posts, including posts which assigned without any term of taxonomy "Members-Arts-Culture", I need only posts with term of taxonomy "Members-Arts-Culture".

Solution:

This is expected result, if you don't check any checkbox, Views will output all posts, including posts which assigned with any term of taxonomy "Members-Arts-Culture".

In your case, it needs some custom PHP codes, for example, when user open the URL:

http://aboutdereham.org/members-arts-culture/

You can use Views filter hook "wpv_filter_query" to trigger an PHP function,

https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

in this PHP function check if there is URL parameter "wpv-member-arts-culture", if there isn't, add a taxonomy filter to the query,
https://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query#Taxonomy_Parameters

return posts with which assigned with any term of taxonomy "Members-Arts-Culture"

Relevant Documentation:

https://toolset.com/documentation/programmer-reference/views-filters/#wpv_filter_query

This support ticket is created 5 years, 12 months ago. There's a good chance that you are reading advice that it now obsolete.

This is the technical support forum for Toolset - a suite of plugins for developing WordPress sites without writing PHP.

Everyone can read this forum, but only Toolset clients can post in it. Toolset support works 6 days per week, 19 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 14:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Hong_Kong (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Luo Yang 5 years, 12 months ago.

Assisted by: Luo Yang.

Author
image-1.jpg

I am building a membership site which allows members to post a listing about their organisation.

I am using a custom post type called 'members' which has three associated Taxonomies:-

'Members-Arts-Culture'
'Members-Clubs-Leisure'
'Members-Community'

The listing of all members, you can see at hidden link
You can see that each taxonomy has a checkbox list which allows you to filter the view. This is working fine.

However when I created a dedicated page for each taxonomy type, I want just the posts containing that taxonomy to appear, then a front end filter for that taxonomy.

So if you look at hidden link
I have set this up using a view which has a front end filter for the taxonomy 'Members-Arts-Culture'.
However this view is still listing all posts from the other two taxonomies (until any one of the checkbox buttons is pressed).
That is the problem.

So the 'Members-Arts-Culture' front end filter in the view is not filtering out the other two taxonomies.

Could you advise how to sort this issue please.

Regards

Robert

Dear Robert,

This is expected result, if you don't check any checkbox, Views will output all posts, including posts which assigned with any term of taxonomy "Members-Arts-Culture".

In your case, it needs some custom PHP codes, for example, when user open the URL:
hidden link
You can use Views filter hook "wpv_filter_query" to trigger an PHP function,

in this PHP function check if there is URL parameter "wpv-member-arts-culture", if there isn't, add a taxonomy filter to the query,
https://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query#Taxonomy_Parameters
return posts with which assigned with any term of taxonomy "Members-Arts-Culture"

Dear Luo

Thanks for your advice. I have written the function but I'm not sure if it is correct. So let me first confirm what I want to happen:-

The page at hidden link uses a View with the ID 138.
This view has a front end filter for the taxonomy 'Members-Arts-Culture' (as shown in my image I previously uploaded).
Now I want that View to call a Views filter hook "wpv_filter_query" to trigger a PHP function which will allow only posts with the taxonomy 'Members-Arts-Culture' to be passed on to the front end filter.

Here is the function I have written:-

// Used by the view ID138 'members-art-culture' to insert a taxonomy filter
add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'members_arts_culture_func', 99, 3 );
function members_arts_culture_func($query, $setting, $views_ID)
{
    if($views_ID == 138)
    {
        $query['tax_query'][] = array(
            'taxonomy' => 'member-arts-culture',
            'operator' => 'IN'
        );
    }
    return $query;
}

But it is not providing the first filter.

Could you have a look at the code and see if there is an error please?
Do I need to specify the post type perhaps?
I have used the slug name for the taxonomy 'member-arts-culture' (not the plural name 'members-art-culture')

Regards

Robert

I have tried the URL you mentioned above:
hidden link

But get a 404 error, since it is a custom codes problem, if you need assistance for it, please provide a test site with the same problem, and fill below private detail box with login details and FTP access, also point out the problem page URL and view URL, and where I can edit you PHP codes, I need a live website to test and debug, thanks

Hi Luo

Sorry about the problem you had accessing the page. It was the live site and I had accidentally put the access post group filter back on. I did some more experimentation and found that the taxonomy filter must have the 'field' and 'terms' included. So you cannot create a filter just by the 'taxonomy' on its own.

So here is the code for two views each of which supports a specific page.

// Used by the view ID138 'members-art-culture' to insert a taxonomy filter
add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'members_arts_culture_func', 99, 3 );
function members_arts_culture_func($query, $setting, $views_ID)
{
    if($views_ID == 138)
    {
            'taxonomy' => 'member-arts-culture',
            'field'    => 'slug',
            'terms'    => array( 'music-provider', 'art-gallery' ),
            'operator' => 'IN'
        );
    }
    return $query;
}

// Used by the view ID143 'members-clubs-leisure' to insert a taxonomy filter
add_filter( 'wpv_filter_query', 'members_clubs_leisure_func', 99, 3 );
function members_clubs_leisure_func($query, $setting, $views_ID)
{
    if($views_ID == 143)
    {
            'taxonomy' => 'member-clubs-leisure',
            'field'    => 'slug',
            'terms'    => array( 'bowling', 'educational-society-club', 'bowling-club-green' ),
            'operator' => 'IN'
        );
    }
    return $query;
}

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards

Robert

You are welcome

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.